Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Garbage TA rates, what’s going on here?

Old 10-03-2022, 08:29 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Jdub2 View Post
they did not prevent the strike
They sure helped prevent one. WH played both sides, IIRC they released the rail unions (to maintain labor-friendly position) but then did their best to mediate a deal to avoid a politically damaging strike and economic disruption.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
They sure helped prevent one. WH played both sides, IIRC they released the rail unions (to maintain labor-friendly position) but then did their best to mediate a deal to avoid a politically damaging strike and economic disruption.

the potential strike is delayed, not necessarily off the table, unless I missed member ratification already happening.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Zard View Post
the potential strike is delayed, not necessarily off the table, unless I missed member ratification already happening.
The railroad unions are currently voting on their TA. Obviously, if they reject it, a strike may be back on the table. If the timeline pushes the start of a strike past early November, I could see the current administration letting it happen. Although, that’s playing with fire.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:35 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Zard View Post
Delayed until after the election is what I should have said, which is of course the whole point.

Ratification is in progress but it's multiple union groups, so while several have already ratified it's not a done deal. Kind of like if our contracts were bundled with FA's, mechanics, CSAs, and rampers... and all the other airlines. Potential hot mess.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default Garbage TA rates, what’s going on here?

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post

They actually never reached the point of being released. They agreed to a TA before the 30 day PEB deadline expired.

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
The railroad unions are currently voting on their TA. Obviously, if they reject it, a strike may be back on the table. If the timeline pushes the start of a strike past early November, I could see the current administration letting it happen. Although, that’s playing with fire.

The administration’s hand have been dealt. There is nothing, legally, they can do if the unions reject the TA, to prevent a strike. It would be up to congress at that point if they want to prevent a possible strike.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:31 AM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

The administration’s hand have been dealt. There is nothing, legally, they can do if the unions reject the TA, to prevent a strike. It would be up to congress at that point if they want to prevent a possible strike.

There is a difference between what administration’s legally can do and what often happens. If the union is told they aren’t released to self help, even though they have jumped through the legal hoops, they would then need to sue in Federal courts. This takes time and money.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Because in pattern bargaining, the floor was set this time around by the sub inflation AS rates, and there reliance on me-too catch up clauses. Let others do the heavy lifting was the over arching strategy there.

This set the floor from which everyone else is working from.
Then why don't you set the bar and show us how it is done..
Old 10-04-2022, 02:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Even if some aren’t happy with the rates, securing the me too clause provision helps. If the first two that went didn’t get this it just becomes that much more difficult to secure for the next carrier imo.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: American Airlines Brake Pad Replacement Technician

Originally Posted by Texasbound View Post
Then why don't you set the bar and show us how it is done..
I wouldn't take it personally. Im sure each of the surviving airlines has done there share of slumming and lowering the bar somewhere along the way, whether it's scope, rates, codes are, etc
What AS has done this time is what it is. They've set the floor. And the rest will now have that inertia to overcome. It is what is. It'll be someone else next time around.

Don't take my word for it. Ask any of the NCs thier opinions if the AS TA is a thrust or drag producing device.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:38 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by RimonaGregie View Post
Because organized labor is weak and poorly understood? Pilots are unwilling to take risks needed for better agreements?
Organized labor is only weak because we have no recourse,the government won't let us strike.... That needs to be removed from the railroad labor act.