Regional Regional Airlines

Background Check Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Beach Bum
Default Background Check Question

When I was 20 I was arrested for under age drinking. Yeah...probably not the brightest of choices but now I want to apply for a regional. I was not convicted and did probation before judgement on the east coast. I had my record expunged from both the state and government. I have submitted my fingerprints to the FBI for a background check assuming that is the agency who the airlines go through for the TSA background checks. My fingerprints came back with no arrest record. Does this mean I am in the clear.

I would hate to get to groundschool only to find out something different.
Thanks,
Old 06-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

You are not required to submit information that has been expunged from your record. Also, that is not one of the offenses that is disqualifying. Other than those offenses listed that are disqualifying, you don't have to report anything over 10 years ago. Besides, I believe you said you were never convicted.

My disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I'm providing this info based on what I read on the forms I filled out going through the interview process. The infomation is to the best of my knowledge and I am about 98% sure of the accuracy. So, if someone knows more about this, please chime in.

Hope this helps some...I think you will be ok.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: FO - 757/767

Originally Posted by Terantious View Post
When I was 20 I was arrested for under age drinking. Yeah...probably not the brightest of choices but now I want to apply for a regional. I was not convicted and did probation before judgement on the east coast. I had my record expunged from both the state and government. I have submitted my fingerprints to the FBI for a background check assuming that is the agency who the airlines go through for the TSA background checks. My fingerprints came back with no arrest record. Does this mean I am in the clear.

I would hate to get to groundschool only to find out something different.
Thanks,
take motherly advice: IF you had it expunged, it IS GONE. No matter what others on this site may tell you...you are fine. Trust me. Once again, if it was expunged......you are fine!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Beach Bum
Default Thanks

It was expunged so great. Thank You for the information hot mamma pilot. Less stress to worry about now during training.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: pǝʇɹǝʌuı

Originally Posted by beechbum View Post
My disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I'm providing this info based on what I read on the forms I filled out going through the interview process. The infomation is to the best of my knowledge and I am about 98% sure of the accuracy. So, if someone knows more about this, please chime in.

You may not be a lawyer but you sure do C.Y.A. like one!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by HotMamaPilot View Post
take motherly advice: IF you had it expunged, it IS GONE. No matter what others on this site may tell you...you are fine. Trust me. Once again, if it was expunged......you are fine!
I;m with HMP on this one. Key word EXPUNGED! FLY SAFE T.C.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
DisplAAced

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: EMB-145 FO

Expunged doesn't always mean expunged. One of our professors here had a classmate apply at xjet and didn't report an underage drinking ticket that he got out in Bismarck because it was "expunged." Well turns out it was expunged to all agencies except the FBI, he later came to find out that xjet has the FBI do their background checks. He called HR and told them about the incident and they flew him down to Houston and ripped him a new ********* then still gave him the job. If you get the FBI to do your check and give you a copy and it comes up clean you are probably ok, otherwise just report it. Nothing could be worse than getting pulled out of groundschool and confronted about it then fired because that will follow you for a long time.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: E170 FO

Probably won't ever affect TSA background checks, but if you ever submit for a DoD security clearance, expunged doesn't mean its gone. They can always find stuff about you if they want. The key is that you are trustworthy. I have an underage drinking that was plead down to disorderly conduct. I always report it as exactly that. If they ask about law enforcement issues, I bring it up. The key is that your comments and application match the background check.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Exclamation

Originally Posted by cbire880 View Post
Probably won't ever affect TSA background checks, but if you ever submit for a DoD security clearance, expunged doesn't mean its gone. They can always find stuff about you if they want. The key is that you are trustworthy. I have an underage drinking that was plead down to disorderly conduct. I always report it as exactly that. If they ask about law enforcement issues, I bring it up. The key is that your comments and application match the background check.
This is true. The federal government (various agencies) take "snapshots" of state and local criminal records at regular intervals. Unfortunately for some folks, if they get their record expunged later, the federal copy of that record does NOT go away. For security purposes the fed is concerned with whether or not you did it...they don't give a rat's @ss if it was plead down or expunged.

Most employers would never have access to certain federal records...but the airline security issue brings things into the national security realm, where things like labor law are NA. I am not certain what info the airlines get when they request the mandatory federal background check, but there are numerous horror stories. The hiring manager will interupt your new hire class, and ask to speak to you in his office...and you will never return to class (I have witnessed this twice).

I would suggest that if the original offense was mild (ie not armed robbery) and occured when you were younger it is probably best to come clean and explain it as a learning experience. That way it won't be hanging over your head in the future. Remember that if you get terminated in ground school after the background checks you will have been fired from a 121 employer for lying about your background...you will almost certainly never recover from that.

Last edited by rickair7777; 06-28-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Cargo FO
Default Tell All

I have allways told all about my Missbehaving. I was told a long time ago tell all and leave nothing gives them nothing to dig for and people get bored with the truth.