Skywest (CRJ) vs WheelsUp (BE-350)

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: Of the 37 in my class, 7 didn’t make it. All of them were over 30.
Any idea what their backgrounds were?
I am also curious about the ATL base at Skywest. I know that right now it's very junior but I am worried that it could go away at some point.
Quote: Not comparing, rather asking what a more stable jump would be in this volatile industry. I’m not a young guy out of flight school; however, I have only flown part 91.
SkyWest is the largest regional in the country. 50 years old. 500+ jets. 14,000 employees. Diversified. 2400 flight per day. No one leaves SkyWest to go to Wheels Up. For the family SkyWest is the safest choice.

As far ATL… SkyWest opens and closes tge base every couple years.
Quote: Spirit has ATL Base.
Quote: I think it is a fair question. I am at SkyWest and have considered going to Wheels Up. I know little about Wheels Up. Their planes were broke down at the FBO I used to work at a lot. It is basically week on, week off. They positive space you to the plane, wherever that is.

As far as SkyWest, Atlanta is very junior right now…that being said ATL is a new base. I bet that if the company were under duress, ATL would be early to go. SLC…probably last. SkyWest training is hard, but fair. It is typical airline training…drinking from a fire hose. Of the 37 in my class, 7 didn’t make it. All of them were over 30. As far as working the line, it is fast paced. Sometimes they ask you to do impossible things…like switch planes to one that is on the other side of the airport on a 45 minute turn. Wheels Up May have a similar pace, but it is hard to work much faster.

If you end up commuting at SkyWest, it is horrible. That could change, but where I am it is nearly impossible to fly…too few flights that are on small, oversold airplanes. It is a long drive. The positive space thing makes Wheels Up pretty competitive.

I hope you find a good fit!
Thank you! Same to you!
Quote: SkyWest is the largest regional in the country. 50 years old. 500+ jets. 14,000 employees. Diversified. 2400 flight per day. No one leaves SkyWest to go to Wheels Up. For the family SkyWest is the safest choice.

As far ATL… SkyWest opens and closes tge base every couple years.
Thank you for your insight!
Quote: Any idea what their backgrounds were?
A variety…from A320 to turbo-props to piston singles. Not sure how many were let go vs quit.
Quote: A variety…from A320 to turbo-props to piston singles. Not sure how many were let go vs quit.
Law of statistics I suppose
Quote: Thanks! I just want to fly airplanes. 121 and 135 are very different but both allow me to fly. I don’t care whether its a king air or 737.
You're welcome! Also consider where you’d want to be when the music stops.
WU will be constant changes, sometimes 7 legs a day, cleaning the aircraft interior after each set of clients, loading & unloading their bags and 14 hour days. But...as mentioned you get a confirmed ticket to your plane and either 1-wk on 1-off or possibly 14/14. Salary. Airports all over, often away from large metro areas so no NY (etc) ATC delays for the most part.

Skywest will be typical regional flying, crappy lines with low seniority which will get better over time. Less changes for sure and 12 days off per month, broken up with several commutes. 117 rest rules. Opportunities to exceed guarantee. Same airports mostly and big airport delays sometimes. Agree that ATL goes in and out. DL uses OO to fill in when Endeavor is short airplanes...I think they just got rid of the 200s.

So 1-2 week chunks off at home off or 2-3 days here and there and commute differences. Where you live and family considerations come into play, which is something we can't know. Age as well.
Quote: WU will be constant changes, sometimes 7 legs a day, cleaning the aircraft interior after each set of clients, loading & unloading their bags and 14 hour days. But...as mentioned you get a confirmed ticket to your plane and either 1-wk on 1-off or possibly 14/14. Salary. Airports all over, often away from large metro areas so no NY (etc) ATC delays for the most part.

Skywest will be typical regional flying, crappy lines with low seniority which will get better over time. Less changes for sure and 12 days off per month, broken up with several commutes. 117 rest rules. Opportunities to exceed guarantee. Same airports mostly and big airport delays sometimes. Agree that ATL goes in and out. DL uses OO to fill in when Endeavor is short airplanes...I think they just got rid of the 200s.

So 1-2 week chunks off at home off or 2-3 days here and there and commute differences. Where you live and family considerations come into play, which is something we can't know. Age as well.
Very good info! Thank you!
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to