Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Default USAF in danger due to pilot shortage

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/yo...ious-position/
Old 03-05-2023, 09:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Theres talk on the Navy side of things of increasing winging commitments… again… to help retention. Wonder if the Air Force is considering the same.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:54 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Otterbox View Post
Theres talk on the Navy side of things of increasing winging commitments… again… to help retention. Wonder if the Air Force is considering the same.

I'll be honest, even at age 18 I might have balked at going down a road that involved a 15-year commitment after wings... at that point, might as well stay for 20.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2021

for a minute I thought I was reading this circa-2000 RAND report

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/ran...007/MR1204.pdf

23 years later, and we are still "looking at ways to solve this problem"
Old 03-05-2023, 10:40 AM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

“In the 1990s, they divested too many aircraft, they closed down too many pilot training bases,” she said. “They simply don’t have the capacity to produce the number of pilots that they need, and they don’t have the aircraft required to absorb the pilots they do create.”
Closed bases and surrendered airspace that will never come back. Too few too unreasonably expensive aircraft. It’s much like the rest of the Defense industrial base…

Ther once was a base called Mather AFB and the flyers out of there had a shoulder patch that said Air Training Command Headquarters West. At the time I think only two ATC bases were west of the Mississippi (Williams In Tempe, now also gone, and Mather itself).

I thought the whole HQ West thing was more than a little arrogant until I got to digging into the history. During WW2 there were apparently over 100 ATC bases in California alone.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Ther once was a base called Mather AFB and the flyers out of there had a shoulder patch that said Air Training Command Headquarters West. At the time I think only two ATC bases were west of the Mississippi (Williams In Tempe, now also gone, and Mather itself).”

I’m not sure what timeframe this might have been. I know Mather was still training Nav’s when I graduated college in ‘89, but there are numerous ATC bases west of the Mississippi.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:38 AM
Sequester bait

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Ther once was a base called Mather AFB and the flyers out of there had a shoulder patch that said Air Training Command Headquarters West. At the time I think only two ATC bases were west of the Mississippi (Williams In Tempe, now also gone, and Mather itself).”

I’m not sure what timeframe this might have been. I know Mather was still training Nav’s when I graduated college in ‘89, but there are numerous ATC bases west of the Mississippi.
I think the closest thing to military aviation still there might be the CBP Air Unit (sub unit of North Island). Two dudes and an unmarked Astar. They're killing it, though.

AFD does have a caution note for T-38 traffic still.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:54 AM
Perennial Reserve

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post

not any more. ATC went away in 1993, but yeah, the ‘west of the Mississippi was wrong. It should have been west of the Rio Grande. But in the early 1990s I do believe the only ATC bases left that were once part of ATC West were Mather, Williams, And a couple of tenant units at Fairchild AFB and up in Alaska that taught basic and arctic survival. During WWII, there were over 100 ATC training bases or auxiliary fields in California alone.

https://military-history.fandom.com/...raining_Center

Old 03-14-2023, 04:01 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2023

UPT instructor friends have told me they are cranking out pilots as fast as they can. It's insane!
Old 03-15-2023, 03:56 PM
Perennial Reserve

Originally Posted by Irondrivr View Post
UPT instructor friends have told me they are cranking out pilots as fast as they can. It's insane!
Well, in WWII the US was producing 50,000 pilots a year by the end. But they had a serious number of training bases and military training areas that no longer exist.

https://media.defense.gov/2015/Sep/1...150911-028.pdf

Now they are struggling to produce a small fraction of that output:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...ious-position/

Some excerpts:

“In the 1990s, they divested too many aircraft, they closed down too many pilot training bases,” she said. “They simply don’t have the capacity to produce the number of pilots that they need, and they don’t have the aircraft required to absorb the pilots they do create.”

Air Force officials have seen hints of progress. The service closed out fiscal 2022 with about 200 more active duty pilots than it had three years earlier. Now, though, military officials and civilian experts alike argue the Pentagon needs to amass a more robust pilot corps to prepare for the next conflict.
The service put 1,276 airmen through undergraduate pilot training last year, about 100 fewer than in fiscal 2021, Riley said. It typically aims to graduate 1,500 new pilotseach year, and is shooting for 1,470 pilots in 2023.

Keeping the pipeline running smoothly was tricky in 2022. The service continues to struggle to find enough civilian workers to run flight simulators despite a slate of hiring incentives.

About one-quarter of those sim instructor jobs — 135 of 518 — remain empty.

​​​​​​​