United terminates "disabled" pilot

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
A quick google search shows that although it’s not common, you can develop color blindness for a number of reasons later in life. It’s possible that’s what happened. I know a guy who had an AME for years in Florida that never did an eye test of any kind. Many people used that AME. People went to him from all over the country. Eventually he was busted for basically handing out medicals. It’s possible this guy was in a similar situation and finally had to go to a legit AME that gave him a real eye test. It’s also possible he’s full of crap and deserved to be fired. It does seem really fishy but if this guy is smart enough to get hired at United, wouldn’t you think he’d be smart enough to realize how fishy this would look and he wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t legit? The truth will (maybe) be revealed at some point.
Quote: True. I’ve seen pilots do even dumber things
Like what, get married 4,5,6,7 times? Inquiry minds want to know.
Quote: Like what, get married 4,5,6,7 times? Inquiry minds want to know.
Getting caught running a *****house is right up there.
Quote: I’ve seen pilots do even dumber things
Quote: Like what, get married 4,5,6,7 times? Inquiry minds want to know.
Certain flying partners on MNL & BOG layovers come to mind…
Quote: Getting caught running a *****house is right up there.
what’s wrong with ruining a *****House? Oh , wait, you said getting caught. Yeah, that’s bad.
Quote: A quick google search shows that although it’s not common, you can develop color blindness for a number of reasons later in life. It’s possible that’s what happened. I know a guy who had an AME for years in Florida that never did an eye test of any kind. Many people used that AME. People went to him from all over the country. Eventually he was busted for basically handing out medicals. It’s possible this guy was in a similar situation and finally had to go to a legit AME that gave him a real eye test. It’s also possible he’s full of crap and deserved to be fired. It does seem really fishy but if this guy is smart enough to get hired at United, wouldn’t you think he’d be smart enough to realize how fishy this would look and he wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t legit? The truth will (maybe) be revealed at some point.
if you do this job, you’re fully aware you could sit in the right seat and never need to discern the colors on a taxiway. Follow along with the Jepps amm, and let the Capt taxi. The dude’s timing is hilariously suspect. He’s been flying his whole life, and then miraculously the problem appears a week after being eligible. 🤔

oh, but he could apparently see in the sim huh….just enough to get the football over the ltd eligibility goal. Come on man, ain’t nobody buying it.
His situation is suspect but color blindness is very common in males im partially green colorblind depending on the test i may or may not pass. Ishihara plates are fine others not so much.i went my first 24 years of life never knowing till the military told me i was colorblind to certain shades of green.
Quote: His situation is suspect but color blindness is very common in males im partially green colorblind depending on the test i may or may not pass. Ishihara plates are fine others not so much.i went my first 24 years of life never knowing till the military told me i was colorblind to certain shades of green.
There are a ton of pilots with some degree of color blindness actively flying.
Quote: A quick google search shows that although it’s not common, you can develop color blindness for a number of reasons later in life. It’s possible that’s what happened. I know a guy who had an AME for years in Florida that never did an eye test of any kind. Many people used that AME. People went to him from all over the country. Eventually he was busted for basically handing out medicals. It’s possible this guy was in a similar situation and finally had to go to a legit AME that gave him a real eye test. It’s also possible he’s full of crap and deserved to be fired. It does seem really fishy but if this guy is smart enough to get hired at United, wouldn’t you think he’d be smart enough to realize how fishy this would look and he wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t legit? The truth will (maybe) be revealed at some point.
100% this.

Its not uncommon to be color blind suddenly. It can happen later in life due to numerous reasons. Sure the timing is a little suspect, but who are we to judge? If you got into a car crash 1 day after your medical, and claimed disability, would you like people calling you suspect? Let's not judge other people's disability.

Let the lawsuit play out. If he wins and proves he is in fact colorblind, you all will feel really stupid and he is getting one hell of a payout.
I was issued a SODA via demonstrated ability after many years of fearful medicals. I had a good AME that walked me through the process. I have no limits, and don’t even need to take the stupid test. If they start putting pastel colors into the taxi lights that may be a problem.

Also, anyone ever seen a tower use a light gun signal? I did twice. Once because I asked them to, and the second time during my FAA test. That was 20 plus years ago.
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to