Experience with psych exams

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hi does anyone have any experience with getting a psych exam as part of their employment offer? I guess specifically what are they looking for.Thnx.
Quote: Hi does anyone have any experience with getting a psych exam as part of their employment offer? I guess specifically what are they looking for.Thnx.
I took one around 2014 for Expressjet. Overall, it wasn't too difficult, some of the questions were a bit strange. A few were similar but worded slightly different. The point is to answer most of them consistently. If you are an introvert, stick to your personality....if you are in extrovert, stick to your personality.

I think they are mainly trying to get a feel for your personality type.
Quote: Hi does anyone have any experience with getting a psych exam as part of their employment offer? I guess specifically what are they looking for.Thnx.
If you are concerned, you probably won’t pass.🫣
First, they'll look at your handwriting. You'll be asked to write the Gettysberg Address from memory, and then a second time, backward. The two will be compared, and you'll have to give a sample with your weak hand, too. They're looking for latent apathy, intrinsic malingering, introverted antisociopathy, and ringworm. They will be able to determine both your sexual orientation, and your orientation to true north: the difference between the two, relative sexuality, will be marked on a scale of one to ten, which you will not be allowed to see until two weeks after the test is complete. This is by design.

There will be a series of words which you will hear, and must say the first thing that comes to mind, followed by your favorite letter of the alphabet. This is timed. For example, if the interviewer says "sheep," you should say "fence." If the interviewer says "puppy," you should say "scalding coffee," and so on. You'll then be asked to identify your best three childhood experiences, followed by the worst. Fire should be one of them. Don't mention ice cubes. Leave out any reference to sheep.

You will be blindfolded and asked to taste three colas. Your job is to identify the one with trace arsenic. Memory aid: it's no the one that tastes like cherries. While blindfolded, you'll be placed inside a pressure chamber, and you'll be asked to put on women's makeup as the oxygen level is gradually depleted. At 18,000 chamber altitude, you'll be asked all the memory procedures (all of them) for your last three aircraft, and you will be asked to recite at least one Dr. Seuss book in its entirety. You aren't expected to complete it, but you should try to get through as much as you can. Industry experts recommend that you use Green Eggs and Ham, and don't try to show off by doing it in Latin.

Not necessarily in order, but you will be subjected to a judgement test commonly known in the industry as the "goldilocks quotient," in which you will be presented with three chairs in a dark room. You will be required to stipulate which is too hard, which is too soft, and which is just right. This is not timed, but should be performed as accurately as possible.

In the Ripplestone Drosophila Melanogaster review, not always given in entirety, but always given, you'll see a series of images, four at a time, one hundred times, and you'll identify a specific object. For example, item one may be an airplane, a boat, a car, and a duck. You will be asked to identify the one that is not a centipede. These are trick questions; be sure to count the legs to verify that you're not looking at a nonapede. Serial killers always pick the boat, rapists pick the car and so on. You may be asked questions such as, "if you are forced to kill either your mother or your brother, which one do you kill?" There is no option to choose neither, so the only correct answer is both. You don't have to explain why. Just emphasize a latent, detached willingness with no semblance of emotion. They really like that.

You'll be given a drug screening, in which you're provided six unidentified pills and must pick three. This tests your endurance, your ability to handle adversity, and your sense of imagination coupled with the limits of your flexibility. As a general guideline, do not pick anything that's green. Following the drug screen, there is a mandatory urinalisis, wherein you will be required to write your name in snow. Penmanship counts.

After this series of warmup exercises, the actual psychological tests begin.
Can confirm. Had to do this last week. Although mine was the Emancipation Proclamation.
Sounds like a "great" employer already - psych evals are so 1952. Just run away.
Quote: Sounds like a "great" employer already - psych evals are so 1952. Just run away.
Psychometric exams are common with foreign carriers… ranging from computer based to on-site or a combination of both.
You can get books on how these things work. If you're worried. Generally don't overthink the answers, and keep in mind that normal, honest humans rarely live in a world of absolutes.

But psych tests for employment suck from the perspective of the applicant, they are nowhere near very accurate, they will miss some bad and filter out some good. So all it does for HR is improve their odds a little bit, at the expense of some applicants.
When I went in for my first medical as a kid, the doctor gave me the psychological test right away. He showed me a picture with colored blotches and asked what I saw. I told him that I saw a butterfly. He asked if I was serious. What did I really see? I told him he might think I was off-kilter, but the truth was, it looked a lot like a nine to me. He showed me another. What did I see?
An elephant.
Try again.
Okay, it looks like the number three. I knew I'd failed then. God damn if everything didn't look like some kind of number, except a few and there wasn't anything there. Just colored dots.
Those looked like a butterfly. Maybe a butterfly pelted by colored stones. Definitely a stoned butterfly.
My old AME used to test my sanity by bringing up extreme conspiracy theories, literally Hillary-is-a-space-alien kind of shiate.

At least I assumed he was testing my sanity...
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to