Widget expats 🔺 🌎

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
FWIW - I commute transborder from Canada.

I do it because I want to live here (property/wife/family etc) - not because I necessarily come out ahead financially (although this is complicated). IMO this should be the key motivator if you are going to commute from outside the USA. Don't expect to make out like a bandit saving taxes.

That being said, here are the pros:
-CAD is very weak at the moment, so every pay check is a big raise
-With NEXUS/Global Entry, the transborder commute is a non-issue and really virtually no different than commuting within the US
-Service to most/all major Canadian cities on DAL is excellent with good frequency, plus recip jumpseat with all large Canadian carriers.
-Still get the benefits of Canadian single-payer health care system while also having access to more timely US care if required through DAL insurance
-Because Canada and the US have a tax treaty, taxes are fairly straightforward and you won't get dinged twice - in fact due to some grey areas and exemptions I pay less than I would if I were working in Canada (note though that I still pay more than if I were simply living and working in the US - you will owe the Canadians at the end of the year - right now the weak dollar more than makes up for this).

Cons:
-When COVID v2 happens, the commute will probably be virtually impossible again
-Unless you live in a city with mainline service, you will not have access to the physical FD Jump for your commutes. This can disrupt the commute but if you live in a large market with lots of frequency it isn't a huge problem.
-Everyone you work with will ask you if Letterkenny is really the way things are up there???

Food for thought, I suspect many of the aspects of my commute apply to other jurisdictions with similar tax treaties etc. Best of luck!
Quote: South Carolina or Missouri?
Lol.

Cartagena.
Quote: FWIW - I commute transborder from Canada.

I do it because I want to live here (property/wife/family etc) - not because I necessarily come out ahead financially (although this is complicated). IMO this should be the key motivator if you are going to commute from outside the USA. Don't expect to make out like a bandit saving taxes.

That being said, here are the pros:
-CAD is very weak at the moment, so every pay check is a big raise
-With NEXUS/Global Entry, the transborder commute is a non-issue and really virtually no different than commuting within the US
-Service to most/all major Canadian cities on DAL is excellent with good frequency, plus recip jumpseat with all large Canadian carriers.
-Still get the benefits of Canadian single-payer health care system while also having access to more timely US care if required through DAL insurance
-Because Canada and the US have a tax treaty, taxes are fairly straightforward and you won't get dinged twice - in fact due to some grey areas and exemptions I pay less than I would if I were working in Canada (note though that I still pay more than if I were simply living and working in the US - you will owe the Canadians at the end of the year - right now the weak dollar more than makes up for this).

Cons:
-When COVID v2 happens, the commute will probably be virtually impossible again
-Unless you live in a city with mainline service, you will not have access to the physical FD Jump for your commutes. This can disrupt the commute but if you live in a large market with lots of frequency it isn't a huge problem.
-Everyone you work with will ask you if Letterkenny is really the way things are up there???

Food for thought, I suspect many of the aspects of my commute apply to other jurisdictions with similar tax treaties etc. Best of luck!
Is Letterkenny really the way things are up there?
Quote: Is Letterkenny really the way things are up there?
Shoresy is more accurate
Quote: -Everyone you work with will ask you if Letterkenny is really the way things are up there???
So, you’re the original degen from up-country?

😉
Quote: Lol.

Cartagena.
Then that would be Colombia, not Columbia.
Quote: Then that would be Colombia, not Columbia.
You would be amazed at the number of people who do not know the difference. Just like people flying into Austria, expecting to be in Sydney.
Quote: You would be amazed at the number of people who do not know the difference. Just like people flying into Austria, expecting to be in Sydney.
Nebraska?.............
Quote: Nebraska?.............
https://www.ksat.com/news/2023/02/14...ney-australia/
I had a friend who lived in Lima, Peru and commuted to ATL.
They liked it for a while, but ended up moving to the US after a few years.

If you have ties to Colombia or speak the language just go for it.
We have a great job to do just that, enjoy the adventure; if it doesn’t work out you can always move to Peachtree City.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to