Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Missing something

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Default Missing something

Maybe I am missing it, but why do people look at companies such as Ameriflight and Airnet as a steeping stone to a regional? I would think since you have the oppurtunity to gain valuable mulitengine turbine PIC quickly, provided you are comfortable with your skills, it would be a good job to land. Please let me know what I am missing?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: CRJ-200 FO

I haven't seen to many folks with that opinion lately, though there are a few. Airnet does operate with SICs which could be a step towards the regionals, however, Ameriflight does not that I know of. My "plan" is to do the regional thing and if an upgrade is not coming, when I hit part 135 PIC mins apply at some of them.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Everyone is prone to SJS. Especially the freight dogs.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Falcon 2000 Captain, Super King Air 350 Medevac Captain
Default 135 can be a way to step over the regionals

I fly single pilot turbine 135, and I don't consider it stepping stone to a regional - I would take a pay cut if I went to a regional. I do consider a it stepping stone to the majors/corporate/fractionals. 1000 hours turbine PIC is a pretty big benchmark, and opens a lot of doors. 2500 tt , 1000 turbine is a requirement I see in lots of job listings.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by UPSFeeder View Post
I fly single pilot turbine 135, and I don't consider it stepping stone to a regional - I would take a pay cut if I went to a regional. I do consider a it stepping stone to the majors/corporate/fractionals. 1000 hours turbine PIC is a pretty big benchmark, and opens a lot of doors. 2500 tt , 1000 turbine is a requirement I see in lots of job listings.

Do you fly for AMERIFLIGHT? I am looking for a Part 135 Twin Turbine Job in the SouthEast....Does AMERIFLIGHT operate in that area at all?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

AMF is opening a small base in either MS, or AL. As of a news letter a couple of months ago it only has 2 aircraft 99, and 1900. It could have grown since then.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

Originally Posted by madfoxjay View Post
Maybe I am missing it, but why do people look at companies such as Ameriflight and Airnet as a steeping stone to a regional? I would think since you have the oppurtunity to gain valuable mulitengine turbine PIC quickly, provided you are comfortable with your skills, it would be a good job to land. Please let me know what I am missing?

I’m not going to say that you are wrong, because you are not! It’s just that times change, markets change. In the past it was a little more “normal” for pilots to use 135 operators as a stepping stone.

Back then a commuter/regional might have some pretty restrictive requirements such as 1500tt, 200multi and even maybe pay for your training (or at least part of it). Now, in that kind of market it makes sense to use 135 operators as a stepping stone, right?
Well no more! Today it seems like all you need to get a job with a commuter/regional is a commercial-, instrument-, multi engine license and about 300-400 total time! As a matter of fact the 135 operators are struggling, as a direct result, to fill their new hire classes with qualified applicants (135 mins).

So I guess I would say, in today’s market, a 135 is not so much a stepping stone for a commuter/regional as much as maybe banner towing or flying skydivers. And why would you? (If a commuter/regional is your goal)

Off course this only my opinion.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

^^^You missed one thing, you don't even need XXX many hours, I've seen many ads' for just com/inst/multi, no mention of min times.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

AMF is not quick turbine PIC. You don't get much time per day, the schedule sucks, and the pay is terrible.

Either go to a operator where they fly your ass off (so the hell won't last so long) or somewhere with better QOL (a good regional).

AMF is having trouble finding pilots. No, it isn't some hidden gem that you have found... there is a reason for this. There are 402 ops in the same regions offering 50k/yr for 135 qualified pilots... why would you go fly for AMF for less then half?

How does moving thousands of pounds in and out of the back of the plane sound every day? You are hunched over the entire time moving 80# boxes from the front to the back while you sweat it out in 100+ degree wx. It is always nice when they send you the 110# UPS driver lady so that you have absolutely no help the whole time. How about waking up from a dead sleep to go to work at 4am every day... and at 4pm. Somehow with all those naps it never seems to add up to 8 hrs. How about walking around some small town trying to run a simple errand like going to the bank. Remember, you won't have a car and you will never be at home during normal business hours. Good luck cashing that check.