Chances for a military slot?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Thanks to the additions. That was great information. Guess I have more to consider if I go w/ the service route.
Quote: Dude,

Officer Training School is they way to go with the AF. You are guaranteed a pilot training slot in writing before you start OTS.

Buzz
It is only guaranted pending you pass the medical. I know guys who went through OTS with guaranteed pilot slots, finished ots, got dq'ed and are now flying desksr, But i think les than 5% get medically dq'ed from flying, and you will have to decide if the risk is worth it
What are the medical requirements? Is there a height restriction and stuff too?
There's a crapload of medical requirements. I never thought i had anything wrong with me and finally when i went to my exam, they did a myriad of tests that i didnt even know existed. They did a topography scan of my cornea and DQ'ed me based on the curvature, even though my vision is perfect. They even put me through 4 hours of eye exams that included reading eye charts with NVG's
oh wow. yeah, i have "perfect" vision (put perfect in "" cause you said that the cornia test thing). is 6'0" too tall to be a pilot in the military?
6'0" is fine. I know a guy who's 6'4" in CHS.
2.2 though is not so good. Definitely try to raise that to a 3.0 by the time you graduate.

Try to find a blog or something of the like of a current military student going through UPT. I personally had a great time at UPT. I did OTS and found the recruiter myself. This specific recruiter was 100% transparent, and I applied only for a pilot's slot in the USAF. One was available, so I was selected for that...after 3 months in Montgomery, AL learning the finer points of memo writing and bed folding I was declared Air Force officer material and then it was on to the gauntlet of UPT.
Good luck.

Ah...well...that was a fun stroll down memory lane. Now forget everything I just said and go find your nearest AFR/ANG office.
Cool. I heard 6'0" was too tall. That's good to hear. So what exactly is UPT? I saw it was Undergraduate Pilot Training, but is that considered undergraduate in terms of the USAF or school? Yeah, i know 2.2 isn't good. I didn't do so hot in a couple of my classes and end up switching majors. My GPA is on the rise though. Thanks a lot.
Try googling {air force "supt" blog}
or just go here
http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums...hp?showforum=5
Quote: There's a crapload of medical requirements. I never thought i had anything wrong with me and finally when i went to my exam, they did a myriad of tests that i didnt even know existed. They did a topography scan of my cornea and DQ'ed me based on the curvature, even though my vision is perfect. They even put me through 4 hours of eye exams that included reading eye charts with NVG's
Who does all that testing? The military? In my 14+ years as a Navy pilot, I've never had anything like that. At most it's the way to long hearing test and read line 8.
They Navy was doing the Cornea scan in 2001 as part of the "NAMI whammie" I haven't seen or heard of anything else after the initial flight training physical.
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to