First Class Physical

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Do you need a 1st class physical to fly as PIC on a corporate aircraft operating under Parts 91 or 135?
You'll need atleast a 2nd class. Althought most departments will require a 1st class.
In 91, a first class is not required unless the company requires it. Some companies require a first class once a year that can lapse to a second class after 6 months. Some companies add a requirement to take an even more thorough non-FAA physical at the 6 month interval after the FAA physical.

In 135, a first class is required if you operate in a position that requires use of an ATP rating, i.e. PIC of anything requiring a type rating. Once again, though, the company may have other policies over and above, especially if they participate in any accredidation audit programs, like Wyvern, etc.
While not required for 91 ops, a first class medical can help when flying internationally. If you get ramp checked it can be quite a hassle trying to explain how a 2nd class FAA medical is actually the equivalent to an ICAO 1st class.

ICAO = 1st: Professional Aviators, 2nd: Recreational Aviators, 3rd: ATC
In Europe, when you get ramped they arent sure when they see a class 2. It just takes some time to explain it to them. Unless your in France, then you are just in for a long night of negotiating. In our department we all carry a class 1. Its just easier that way.
Thanks for the info. I am just trying to assest my options after my 121 career.
Quote: Do you need a 1st class physical to fly as PIC on a corporate aircraft operating under Parts 91 or 135?
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 61—CERTIFICATION: PILOTS, FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS, AND GROUND INSTRUCTORS
Subpart A—General

§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person—

(1) Must hold a first-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate;

(2) Must hold at least a second-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate; or

(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate—

(i) When exercising the privileges of a private pilot certificate;

(ii) When exercising the privileges of a recreational pilot certificate;

(iii) When exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate;

AAHH the rules, I just love the rules .

So if the aircraft you are flying requires a type rating (most corp.aircraft do) and your type rating is on your ATP certificate and not a part of your commercial pilot privileges then you must hold a current 1st class medical certificate to operate the aircraft as Pilot In Command.
So look at your certificates carefully.
The catch is, a first class medical is always a first class medical, even after 6 months. After 6 months you can only perform operations that require less than a first class medical, but it is still a first class medical. I know, semantics, but it is the truth. It depend on the company you work for and the rules you are operating under. Clear as mud?

Cheers,
WG
This may be a stupid question, but if I got my FAA Class 1 ticket on 20 May 2007, when does it lapse to a Class 2? Was it good until 31 Oct or 30 Nov? Thanks.

P
1st until Nov. 30, equivalent of 2cnd Dec. 1
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to