Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Crosswind landings

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Default Crosswind landings

Ok, simple question: how to JETLINER pilots do crosswind langings? I've heard/seen conflicting stuff.

Most pilots I've heard on the subject say they land the same way a GA plane will: cross-controlled with the upwind wing low and opposite rudder to hold the centerline, touching down on one main first. But I've seen pictures/video of jetliners touching down still in a full crap and an old friend today (who currently flies for Colgan) said they need to side-load onto the runway because of the risk of engine/wingtip strikes, and that the main gear is specifically designed for heavy side-loading.

So what's the technique??
Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 767A (Ret)
Default Hate it when that happens...

Originally Posted by MikeB525 View Post
... I've seen pictures/video of jetliners touching down still in a full crap ...
That would stink.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:03 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: MD-11 Cook

I think the only large airplane I know of that is actually designed to land in a crab is a B-52.

Normally, "sideloading" the landing gear is a bad thing and is something to be avoided.

The normal technique taught in large aircraft that I've flown, (KC-135, DC-9, MD-11) is to keep the crab in until about 100 to 200 feet AGL then transition to a wing level landing. This is done be turning aileron into the wind and using opposite rudder to align the aircraft with the runway (basically cross-controlling the aircraft). The amount of the cross-control depends on the amount of crosswind. You are taught to land in a wing-level attitude even in a large crosswind so you don't scrape the bottom of an engine pod or side-load the gear...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Should you land in a crab? No. You can either do a forward slip or the kick the crab out (rudder application at the last minute to aligin the a/c but before it can start to drift). I was taught to kick the crab in the DC-8 because of low clearance between the engines and the runway. Flying the MD-11 and DC-10 the preferred method is the forward slip. It is more consistant and can be monitored by the other crew. (ie: don't freak the captain out)
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SDF A300 FO

In the 8 you take the crab down to about 30 feet but you still kick it out. Just don't drag a pod!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737

Lately Alaska has been teaching the crab method. I like to bank slightly in to the wind and use rudder to straighten the nose but they have been getting away from that method for a couple of years now.

If landing on a wet runway a crab landing is much better tolerated. The bottom line is, don't bang up the wing tip or drag a pod. If the conditions were that bad when you wanted to land, you should have diverted or delayed. (At least that is what the attorney will say)
Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

When Chuck Norris is flying, there are NO crosswinds. The wind would never get cross with Chuck Norris.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: A320

Here's a neat video showing Boeing doing some crosswind landings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOxo0s33sI
Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by MikeB525 View Post
Ok, simple question: how to JETLINER pilots do crosswind langings? I've heard/seen conflicting stuff.

Most pilots I've heard on the subject say they land the same way a GA plane will: cross-controlled with the upwind wing low and opposite rudder to hold the centerline, touching down on one main first. But I've seen pictures/video of jetliners touching down still in a full crap and an old friend today (who currently flies for Colgan) said they need to side-load onto the runway because of the risk of engine/wingtip strikes, and that the main gear is specifically designed for heavy side-loading.

So what's the technique??
you might wanna check again with your friend at colgan cause you really cant get a wingtip strike on the saab there is too much dihedral in the wing, and i think it would be impossible to strike the prop because the engine it mounted directly over the main gear
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B-787 Captain

Passengers don't tolerate slips well. Crab until you flare works in every airplane. On the B747 touchdown in the crab and let the friction of 16 tires swing the nose around. In most other airplanes, crosscontrol to make the gear trucks roll straight the runway.
You will learn what to do when you go to training on that particular type of aircraft. Get good landing a Cessna 172 in a crosswind and everything else will seem easy.