Engine Falls off 737 after Takeoff

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa....ap/index.html

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) -- A plane carrying more than 100 people made an emergency landing in South Africa after an engine fell off during takeoff from Cape Town on Wednesday, officials said. No injuries were reported.
The Nationwide airline plane, bound for Johannesburg, touched down safely after the airport's fire and rescue services rushed to clear debris from the runway.
The right engine of the Boeing 737 "separated from the wing. The aircraft continued to climb out," the airline said in a statement.
One of the passengers, Pretoria businesswoman Ronel Derman, told the South African Press Association that she had been in a seat directly over the wing and a passenger seated next to her was looking out of the window when the engine dropped.
"I heard this huge bang, and he said, 'That's our engine that's just fallen off.' I couldn't believe it. He had to repeat it to me," she told SAPA.
I hate when this happens, and it almost always means a return to the airport when it does (kidding).
That ain't right....
I'm sure the mechanic will find the bolt in his pocket when he gets home...
Can mechanics fill out nasa reports?
Events like this help give a new meaning to the phrase "We've lost one!"
From what it sounds like on the news.... the engine fell off the airplane several seconds before it became airborne. The crews at the airport removed the majority of the engine debris from the runway. Makes you wonder how close to or before V1 the engine actually came off the airplane....
A literal V1 "cut"
Man I wish there was a video of this. That would be amazing.
Someone find a video for gods sake.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to