Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Cargo
not taking résumés, not hiring: why UPS @ job fair? >

not taking résumés, not hiring: why UPS @ job fair?

Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

not taking résumés, not hiring: why UPS @ job fair?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 1 ft out the door

After being displaced from SDF to ANC, I won't be happy to again be displaced from ANC back to SDF in an FE spot.

I wonder if after a company paid move for displacement to AK, if the company will move me back to SDF after another displacement?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SDF A300 FO

I would happily plumb to get back to SDF.

Why wouldn't they pay for your displacement back to SDF?

Originally Posted by FrontSeat View Post
So how happy will you be when we go to the 8 panel this fall?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Brown

Any FO at UPS speaking of being displaced to the DC-8 panel is either misinformed or totally ignorant of the demographic makeup of the seniority list. There are tons of PFEs and pilots over 65 already on the -8 or coming off of the 747.

We have the best job in aviation. Try to enjoy it.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Biggs – I’m sorry but do you have some information that none of us do? No one is “spouting crap,” here, we are just speculating – after all this is a message board, right?
You say the only way they can over 60 guys can get the front seat again is through a vacancy and you add “the company has already said this and the union agrees.”

Well, I hope you are right but last time I checked the union made a presentation to the company on what they think is best for the pilot group and for the company. That’s all.
The company has not agreed to anything, they still haven’t announced what they’ll do. It might be a vacancy posting but it could very well be a displacement bid too.

IF, I repeat IF that happens, the over 60 guys who’ll now be moving upfront will be leaving an empty FE seat behind them, correct? Their replacements can only come from either junior pilots being displaced into those seats OR from new hires. Since a UPS recruiters told the recent AirInc attendees that there probably won’t be any hiring in 2008, the only option would be junior guys, wouldn’t you say?

Yes, this is all pure speculation but I wanted to remind you that so is your claim that the company has already agreed to something. Frankly no one knows what will happen and in the meantime the pilots will probably keep debating an issue very important to all of us.

Seinfeld - you're probably right but nothing is set in stone - that's all I'm trying to say.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Since a UPS recruiters told the recent AirInc attendees that there probably won’t be any hiring in 2008, the only option would be junior guys, wouldn’t you say?

Does this mean no interviewing and/or no hiring out of the pool or both? I had heard a number of maybe 40-50 from the pool, just wondering.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Freightmama!

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 757/767 FO

What would be kind of good for someone trying to get in is if some of the geezers (LOL) went to ANC FO or Capt slots that noone wants and there were FE slots left for new hires. Then HR can stop this "we want heavy jet international" crap and we can get some regional guys on. Wishful thinking on my part though but a girl can dream can't she?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by Vman View Post
After being displaced from SDF to ANC, I won't be happy to again be displaced from ANC back to SDF in an FE spot.

I wonder if after a company paid move for displacement to AK, if the company will move me back to SDF after another displacement?
Vman and others,
Factually, the only FE slots that will exist in 2009 will be on the DC-8. Right after Peak 2008, the last classic 74 will be parked.
Factually, UPS has stated the intent to quit flying another 6 DC-8 's this year.
Look at the lines, every bid period has less and less hard lines.
Factually, from the Training Center, they are planning on the displacement bids from DC-8 crews beginning 2009 if not sooner.
There are enough 62-63+ year olds on the current seniority list that they will still be competing for the remaining FE seats on the last place they can go by 2009.
Sooooo.... even if it would play out that someone is taken from the F/O seat to the DC-8 S/O seat, they probably wouldn't make it beyond IOE before being displaced back to ANC.
To others that think it is "cool" to hate UPS. No one really hates UPS, they hate the stupidity of the logbook issues and getting letters of warnings for following MRB's and FOM procedures that the FAA apparently disagrees with.
I enjoyed being an F/O, the violations and warnings have been going to the Capts and S/O's. All the while why these folks followed company procedures. It is fair to have that irritate you. It bothers me to have managers jump in the cockpit trying to get me to violate FAR's. I still love being at UPS, but hate the stupidity of something so preventable and avoidable. Oh well...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by Freightpuppy View Post
What would be kind of good for someone trying to get in is if some of the geezers (LOL) went to ANC FO or Capt slots that noone wants and there were FE slots left for new hires. Then HR can stop this "we want heavy jet international" crap and we can get some regional guys on. Wishful thinking on my part though but a girl can dream can't she?

Why would you want UPS to hire regional pilots? All our growth is going to be international and a newhire engineer will eventually be flying internationally. I'd rather have someone with experience in international ops vs. some regional pilot who hasn't flown anything bigger than a rj.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by FlyByCable View Post
Why would you want UPS to hire regional pilots? All our growth is going to be international and a newhire engineer will eventually be flying internationally. I'd rather have someone with experience in international ops vs. some regional pilot who hasn't flown anything bigger than a rj.
FBC,
The domestic flying is going where? I would rather fly with a teachable pilot. As a tech, have trained both. Both are fine. HR likes a mixed breed of pilots. It works well for them. Are you joining the HR dept?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
APC's Hired Help

Originally Posted by FlyByCable View Post
Why would you want UPS to hire regional pilots?
Is it me or are you trying to stir up trouble? Some of your recent posts indicate to me that it's the latter.