Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

Are F/Os really scum?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Tier 3 Candidate

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Canadair Gosh

I had a jumpseater give the captain, myself and the F/A each a big bar of Hersheys chocolate as thanks for letting him on our flight.

I now expect that from every jumpseater!

:P
Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: XJT furloughed due to non-ALPA undercutting

Just guessing. Maybe he had some resentment that you are flying a "12 first class pax, 64 coach pax airliner" for a fraction of the pay, and a job that should be at mainline?

At least the captain is compensated so he can pay the bills, but I can understand why any mainline pilot would have resentment towards any FO flying 70-90 pax around for crapbag wages. That's chipping away at his profession.

Not flamebait at all, but you don't think you're better in your 76 seat CRJ 900 with first class than if you were a 50 seat FO for the same rates do you? Sure hope not.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA

I know of a Shuttle CKA who disallowed a mainline CA EXACTLY for that... he did not and sort of even rebuffed the FO.... CA told him to get his things and exit the aircraft so they could close the door........
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM
looking for underboob

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: NYC 7ER LCA

Originally Posted by cessna157 View Post
Had a bit of a rude encounter yesterday. Flew a flight yesterday that had 12 first class pax, 64 coach pax, and a jumpseater. Jumpseater was a DL 737 capt based in ATL. He walks up to the cockpit, introduces himself to the capt, shows his credentials, etc. During the 2+hour flight, capt and j/s chat back and forth about some stuff they had in common. So I took the radios so they could chat undisturbed (it was my leg to fly). We land, taxi in, and start deplaning. J/S thanks the capt for the ride, shakes his hand, gathers his bags and leaves. He didn't say one word to me the entire time. Didn't look at me. Didn't acknowledge my existence.

My question is, isn't it professional courtesy to thank the crew, etc. for giving you a ride to work for free, especially in the jumpseat? As an f/o, am I really pond scum?
I make sure the jumpseater says hello to me and then I introduce the FO to the jumpseater. Don't really know what his deal was. A simple hello would be nice
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Aeroplanes

Originally Posted by N2rotation View Post
Just guessing. Maybe he had some resentment that you are flying a "12 first class pax, 64 coach pax airliner" for a fraction of the pay, and a job that should be at mainline?
Well, if that's the case, then I say get off of my airplane. If you don't like what we do, then don't ride on us, its that simple. Don't trash talk the airline and airplane and what we do, then ask us for a free ride to work.

Besides, their own scope clause prohibits them from flying this guage of aircraft anyway. But that is for another thread.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: FO

Originally Posted by N2rotation View Post

At least the captain is compensated so he can pay the bills, but I can understand why any mainline pilot would have resentment towards any FO flying 70-90 pax around for crapbag wages.
That's chipping away at his profession.
Not flamebait at all, but you don't think you're better in your 76 seat CRJ 900 with first class than if you were a 50 seat FO for the same rates do you? Sure hope not.
They voted to give away that flying...look in mirror and be ****ed at yourself.

That's chipping away at his profession.
And HE is screwing up OUR profession by voting to outsource flying to other entities that he knows will make less money. Quit selling scope off to get an extra couple dollars at the expense of the junior people at your airline. If they wouldn't have given up 50 and 70 seaters, NO Delta pilots would have been furloughed, and there would have been leverage in the future to keep pay-rates up.

Last edited by BlueMoon; 03-11-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
They voted to give away that flying...look in mirror and be ****ed at yourself.
Yup. I'm cautiously optomistic that lessons have been learned, and there will be no more scope give-aways in the future.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: FO

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Yup. I'm cautiously optomistic that lessons have been learned, and there will be no more scope give-aways in the future.
It is in everyones best interest, but they gave up more scope in bankruptcy with pilots on furlough...so much for not throwing your own under the bus.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
It is in everyones best interest, but they gave up more scope in bankruptcy with pilots on furlough...so much for not throwing your own under the bus.
Another big round of bacnkruptcies would probably put us all under the bus.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: ERJ FO

Whenever I jumpseat (which was a lot) I go out of my way to say hi to the FO and shake his hand. Mainly because I know I like anyone JSing when I'm the FO to say hi...but it's no biggie. I had a pretty senior DAL guy sitting in the jumpseat a few months ago (somewhere in the low 60's on their seniority list) and he was awesome. Chatted with me and the CA the whole time (out of sterile cockpit of course) and was very friendly despite being crammed in the 145 jumpseat. Just depends on who ya get I guess.

At the same time, I have seen a DAL guy exhibit a lot of animosity towards a CMR guy when me and a CMR CA were both trying to jumpseat. It's none of my business so I stayed out of it. Long story short, the DAL CA tried to put me in the JS before the CMR guy (even though they have priority) since I was there first. In the end, we both got seats in the back thanks to misconnects but it was definately a little uncomfortable at the gate.