Are F/Os really scum?

Subscribe
4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 
Page 8 of 12
Go to
Frankly I think it says alot about your captain to not acknowlege you in some way to your j/s'er. Most captains of the flights I jumpseat on and as well myself make a point to introduce the first officer.
Quote: Hey for over an hour I got wacked in the back of the head by a fdx guy who thought it was funny.... See, I didn't say anything, because the captain told him to do it and that "he likes it".... so I got hit across the head from DFW to MEM... what a ride, while flying the appropriate departure too. Don't worry man, others HAVE had worse.

Also had the owner at my last job tell me "you dont know what the ******* you're talking about, so shut the ******* up and don't spread rumors" when all I did was ask him about an FAR. 3 stripes, bad, one more stripe, good. That's all I know.

Oh yeah, like others have said, don't assume they are jerks just because of that. And don't be afraid to take a stand, like I didn't do on those two occasions. I don't know, something about being on probation makes me afraid to do much of anything. LoL So yeah, i'm being hypocritical. I wish I didn't feel like I would have been fired, but if I had said anything in either of those situations, what I would have said would have GOTTEN me fired, so keep that in mind IF you decide to take the stand!

Are you serious??? You allowed this to happen? Not only is it totally inappropriate, but it lowers the bar for acceptable behavior. Probationary or not, you should have put an immediate end to this. You should have politely but firmly instructed the JS to immediately desist. If your captain encouraged this behavior and refused to comply with your request that he not allow the JS to engage in this behavior, then you should have contacted professional standards upon landing. Please note, I did not say contact company management. There would be few if any cases where I would contact Pinnacle management knowing their nature. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy... I am referring to our union (PCL ALPA) professional standards committee. They deal with pilot issues and this should certainly be brought to their attention. PM me if you need an email address or phone number. The union Prostans guys are very good and will handle this situation wisely.

Getting back to the subject of the post, if the JS does not say hello to my FO, I'll ask the FA to send him back to the cockpit at which point I make the introduction for him. I'm not rude, I will simply say "I don't think you met the first officer yet"...
Personal Responsibility
Hey! Shy First Officers out there:

1. JS: "Hi, I'm Chuck Hoover, from ZV airlines, may I please have a ride home?"
2. CAPT: "Hi, I'm Bob Yeager."
3. -js extends credentials towards capt's hand
4. -capt takes credentials
5. -capt looks over credentials

Sometime in between Number 3 and 5 above, extend your hand to the jumpseater and say "Hi, I'm Jeanna Wagstaff."

It works.....
Quote: Hey! Shy First Officers out there:

1. JS: "Hi, I'm Chuck Hoover, from ZV airlines, may I please have a ride home?"
2. CAPT: "Hi, I'm Bob Yeager."
3. -js extends credentials towards capt's hand
4. -capt takes credentials
5. -capt looks over credentials

Sometime in between Number 3 and 5 above, extend your hand to the jumpseater and say "Hi, I'm Jeanna Wagstaff."

It works.....
What if my name isn't Jeanna Wagstaff? Should I play along anyway?
Any commuters out there would know, as a JS after you say hi to the CA, you probably should have some sort of acknowledgment with the FO as well, either a nod or handshake, or "Hey, how you doing?" Also, it is common courtesy to ask for permission with the FA to speak to the CA.

I always try to make my JS comfy in the cramped cockpit, i.e. take the logbook out of the way so he/she can put their feet on the rack, take the trash bag out of the way, offer a drink before the flight, slide my seat a notch forward than normal...

If someone in my JS pretend that i'm invisible, don't expect me to say sorry when i crush your foot when i slide my seat back, or heck, you better find your own O2 mask when there's an emergency

I really think there should be a presentation for newhire these days for regionals on how to JS. It's so important to do it right, and you just don't want to lose this privilege because of one bad seed to ruin it for the rest of us.
[quote=rvr350;346431]Any commuters out there would know, as a JS after you say hi to the CA, you probably should have some sort of acknowledgment with the FO as well, either a nod or handshake, or "Hey, how you doing?" Also, it is common courtesy to ask for permission with the FA to speak to the CA.

I always try to make my JS comfy in the cramped cockpit, i.e. take the logbook out of the way so he/she can put their feet on the rack, take the trash bag out of the way, offer a drink before the flight, slide my seat a notch forward than normal...

If someone in my JS pretend that i'm invisible, don't expect me to say sorry when i crush your foot when i slide my seat back, or heck, you better find your own O2 mask when there's an emergency

I really think there should be a presentation for newhire these days for regionals on how to JS. It's so important to do it right, and you just don't want to lose this privilege because of one bad seed to ruin it for the rest of us.[/quote]

Agree 100%
The other day a CA told me that i didnt need to check in up front if the gate had given me a seat in the back.. The way it was said sounded like that was normal, to not say hi if given a seat. He said it was a waste of time but thanks anyways. I have always asked the FA to talk to the CA and FO on every flight i have jumped... seat or jumpseat...

Just that CA's way of doing things you think??
Always Check With The Ca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote: Always Check With The Ca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you get a seat in the back than relax and enjoy the ride...don't need to check with the Captain unless he briefs the FA to send all of em up.
YOU WORK ON THE RAMP!!
you are confusing JUMPSEATING with NONREVING, as many have pointed out before.

A. CABIN SEATING
1. In accordance with company policy, if a cabin seat(s) is available, the Captain may offer it to a jumpseat rider(s) to accommodate additional jumpseat requests. Appropriate procedures for such accommodations should be adopted and developed as Company policy.

that is straight from the ALPA website. the CAPTAIN may offer it to the jumpseater, NOT JUST THE GATE AGENT. when jumpseating you are a crew member. Why the hell would you not introduce yourself to your CA unless you are trying to be sneaky. Plus the CA is still responsible for making sure you have valid airman and medical.
This really didnt become an issue until about 2-3 years ago. The loss of professional courtesy amazes me. Management screws us enough, lets not screw each other.
4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 
Page 8 of 12
Go to