Almaty & OLD Money

Subscribe
Just returned from Soho where a distressed waitress came running after us to tell us that we were trying to pay our tab with OLD money .

What the . . . . the money we exchanged at the Hotel just an hour ago has already gone bad?? Seems the Blue 1000s are OLD money and no good anymore (brown is OK). There are other denominations that have also been declared OLD money.

We complain to the hotel manager that the exchange folks gave us bad money. Manager says the exchange window is not part of the hotel and we have to go to the National Bank to exchange old for new money-- uuhhh we leave in the morning and the bank is a 45 minute (~6000 crinkle/$50) cab ride away.

So we now have souvenir money from Almaty, how about you??
Moral: check the validity of your money before you leave the hotel.

PS: It's also a tow-in to the gate now (bad pavement)
I tried to pass some bad (old) money at green market last month. The gal treated me like I had insulted her dead mother. Went to small bank down the street, and they exchanged it no problem.
Quote: ... Manager says the exchange window is not part of the hotel and we have to go to the National Bank to exchange old for new money-- uuhhh we leave in the morning and the bank is a 45 minute (~6000 crinkle) cab ride away...
I flew with a captain who told me that several months ago there was a guy who took out some cash from an ATM in the hotel lobby (Shanghai - can't remember which hotel we stay at there?).
Apparently the Chinese yuan he got was fake and they wouldn't accept it anywhere. The hotel manager said the ATM was not part of the hotel and the bank personnel was very unfriendly toward him. He decided to leave the bank without getting any refund.

Not sure how much money he got and which bank it was but apparently it's not the first time an ATM in China gives out fake bills.
Thanks for the heads up. Heading to Almaty in a couple of days...........
I once flew a charter out of Cairo. I suspect the money exchange gave me the correct change consisting of both new and "old" money. The taxi driver however insisted on new money only but at the old rate (resulting in him being overpaid by a BUNCH). Nice guy taking advantage of tourists
Quote: Thanks for the heads up. Heading to Almaty in a couple of days...........
The hotel will exchange any old money you have......