Multi-crew Pilot License

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Just a few months ago I suggested a new part 121 limited pilots license and everyone thought I was crazy. Now here we have the Multi-crew Pilot License.

I seems to me that there is a lot of wasted time in traditional commercial pilot license requirements for someone who is solely intending to fly airlines. My idea would completely remove all VFR training.

The license could be part 121 company and type specific. Students would only study part 121 regs and company ops. Most of the training could be in the sim. VFR, PIC and small piston privileges could be added later.

SKyhigh
Yeah, but how would that work? Most of one's initial training is VFR when attaining the PPL, right? Are you advocating on doing away with the PPL training until after someone gets their instrument rating or doing it completely in the sim?

Not that it couldn't be done, however that seems like trying to walk before you crawl.

atp
Quote: Just a few months ago I suggested a new part 121 limited pilots license and everyone thought I was crazy. Now here we have the Multi-crew Pilot License.

I seems to me that there is a lot of wasted time in traditional commercial pilot license requirements for someone who is solely intending to fly airlines. My idea would completely remove all VFR training.

The license could be part 121 company and type specific. Students would only study part 121 regs and company ops. Most of the training could be in the sim. VFR, PIC and small piston privileges could be added later.

SKyhigh
It's bad enough with ATC not understand why pilots do things, last thing we need is a bunch of numbskull know-it-alls blasting around in the sky with no understanding of what Doctor Jimmy is doing in his Bonanza.
Crew License
Seems to me that the Europeans are already thinking of it. Who needs VFR skills when as an airline pilot you live in a world of IFR? Why learn part 91 rules when you will be a 121 pilot only.

Dead reckoning, VFR cross country, Solo time can all be eliminated. Only one check ride.

If oil hits $148 a barrel by Christmas then it will become very expensive to get primary training. The supply of cheap pilots could run out. A great way to insure a constant supply of cheap pilots is to have a company sponsored cadet program. They could hire guys with zero time and within 6 months be line ready.

SkyHigh
Doctor Jimmy
Quote: It's bad enough with ATC not understand why pilots do things, last thing we need is a bunch of numbskull know-it-alls blasting around in the sky with no understanding of what Doctor Jimmy is doing in his Bonanza.
GA is going to be squeezed out soon anyway.

SkyHigh
Quote: The supply of cheap pilots could run out.

SkyHigh
Are you, SkyHigh, of all people, saying you think there could be a PILOT SHORTAGE?!
Quote: Just a few months ago I suggested a new part 121 limited pilots license and everyone thought I was crazy.

Some things never change...
Pilot Shortage
Quote: Are you, SkyHigh, of all people, saying you think there could be a PILOT SHORTAGE?!

I suppose that there is a real pilot shortage in Europe and Asia if they are pushing for this new type of approach to making pilots. In the US there seems to be an unlimited supply of people willing to sacrifice a lot just to stay in the saddle.

Skyhigh
If you were a visionary for bringing this up a few months ago, what does that make me for raising the question back in September?
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...+pilot+license
Ok, this would save time and money. You have to look though at how it would affect new pilots' skills. A lot of the decision making and gaining of experience is learned through all the steps of different licenses, especially flight instructing or other time building methods. I have only been in the 121 industry for a few years, and have talked to captains about some of the lower time guys. Some are just fine and others, well, some wonder how they even got here! The point is that if continue making training "shortcuts," and continue hiring even lower time pilots, it is only going to increase the chances of having an accident.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to