Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Background Check

Old 02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Default Background Check

I'm at a regional now, but have a question regarding background checks at major airlines, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this...

About ten years ago I was assaulted by a drunk on the street, long-story- short he jumped me from behind and he ended up on the ground with broken bones. Cops came, and I didn't want to press any charges, so that was it for a year. 364 days later, the guy sues me. By the time I found out about it, it was too late to push for any criminal charges against this clown (1 year statute of lims). Anyway my insurance company made the guy go away, but the record of the lawsuit is still in the county system. The write up from the other guys lawyer is pure fiction, but of course he claims that I was the instigator, and he was an innocent victim, etc, etc. If you just read the depositions, it's his word vs. mine.

I'm squeeky clean, reserve officer with security clearance, no criminal record of course. Is this something that a major is likely to look for and find on a background check, and how would they handle it? Is this something I should bring up at an interview and try to pre-empt? Any input appreciated...
Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by socal163
I'm at a regional now, but have a question regarding background checks at major airlines, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this...

About ten years ago I was assaulted by a drunk on the street, long-story- short he jumped me from behind and he ended up on the ground with broken bones. Cops came, and I didn't want to press any charges, so that was it for a year. 364 days later, the guy sues me. By the time I found out about it, it was too late to push for any criminal charges against this clown (1 year statute of lims). Anyway my insurance company made the guy go away, but the record of the lawsuit is still in the county system. The write up from the other guys lawyer is pure fiction, but of course he claims that I was the instigator, and he was an innocent victim, etc, etc. If you just read the depositions, it's his word vs. mine.

I'm squeeky clean, reserve officer with security clearance, no criminal record of course. Is this something that a major is likely to look for and find on a background check, and how would they handle it? Is this something I should bring up at an interview and try to pre-empt? Any input appreciated...

I am not a Lawyer.............................but here goes.

Most applications have some type of questions about "Do you have any prior arrests? or "Have you ever been convicted of a Felony?" or blah blah....

Where you arrested? (other than a traffic violation non alcohol related)
Where you convicted?
Do you have a Criminal record?

If the answer is NO than IMHO opionon you have notheing to worry about.

If you can't answer No (or are not really sure) It might behoove you to hire a PI and do a background Investigation on yourself.......................
See what he/she can pull up...........................

If you find a questionable past you'll need to be upfront in an interview.
Many potential employers can overlook past indiscreations but will not tolerate a Liar. Always be honest in an interview...........but you don't always have to offer TOO much personal info unless asked.

Just my non lawyer opinion
Old 02-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320

on every application there is a question that asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony.that's it. you were not convicted of agravated assault were you? also you were not arrested and fingerprinted, that is, you are not "in the system" are you? if you can answer no to this questions you have nothing to worry about and I would certainly would not bring it up on an interview at all.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r
I am not a Lawyer.............................but here goes.

Most applications have some type of questions about "Do you have any prior arrests? or "Have you ever been convicted of a Felony?" or blah blah....

Where you arrested? (other than a traffic violation non alcohol related)
Where you convicted?
Do you have a Criminal record?

If the answer is NO than IMHO opionon you have notheing to worry about.

If you can't answer No (or are not really sure) It might behoove you to hire a PI and do a background Investigation on yourself.......................
See what he/she can pull up...........................

If you find a questionable past you'll need to be upfront in an interview.
Many potential employers can overlook past indiscreations but will not tolerate a Liar. Always be honest in an interview...........but you don't always have to offer TOO much personal info unless asked.

Just my non lawyer opinion
Thanks, I have no arrest, etc so I don't have to answer yes to anything on the app, but I had heard that background checks go beyond the basic stuff. If they ask, I'll tell them, but I'm not sure what the impact will be if they find it on their own...
Old 02-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by rickair7777
Thanks, I have no arrest, etc so I don't have to answer yes to anything on the app, but I had heard that background checks go beyond the basic stuff. If they ask, I'll tell them, but I'm not sure what the impact will be if they find it on their own...

Like I said...................if you are unsure of whats in your record, It would be money well spent to investigate yourself and see...........
If there is something there............speak with a Lawyer to discuss ways to get it Expunged.................$250 to $1000 might be small potatoes if it lands you a job in the Majors!:
Old 02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by socal163
...Cops came, and I didn't want to press any charges, so that was it for a year. 364 days later, the guy sues me...
What's to be concerned about? You were sued. Big deal. You weren't arrested. You had no charges filed against you. You've got nothing to hide. Lot's of people get sued.

I don't mean to be flippant or make light of your concerns but with the facts as you've described, it appears you're guilty of nothing more than living in an overly litigious society.

EDPM
Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 F/O

My 1.5 cents...I've always been a very strong believer in honesty.

First, I think you can be sure you are honest by answering "no" to those questions on the app...

Second, for the interview, another perspective is you might volunteer the story to start some lively, interesting coversation...or find a way to turn it around to a "lesson learned", maybe even applying to cockpit duties somehow? It made us interested, right?

Best of luck!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 767

Dont offer up the info however dont hide it. If they bring it up....be honest be brief and be humble meaning dont drag all the gory details out....hit the high lites be positive and move on.