How Do You Start a 135 Operation?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How Do You Start a 135 Operation?

Old 02-18-2006, 05:06 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CRJ-700 FO
Default How Do You Start a 135 Operation?

Hey guys, I've got a question. It is my dream to someday (maybe) start my own Part 135 operation. I would want to do passenger operations, freight, eventually a flight school, and maybe even a fractional deal tied in with some owners looking to buy into a plane and a ranch or condo in the mountains, etc. These are all really big dreams, and it would start a lot smaller. I basically want to get started with the passenger operation. I am only 23 years old, but I want to start planning now. So my questions are as follows:

1. How do you go about obtaining a Part 135 certificate?
2. How do you create your Ops Specs?
3. How do you determine aircraft operating costs?
4. What else am I forgetting?

Despite my young age, I have some large project management and business management experience, and I have my aviation knowledge, but I want to do this with the proper planning, which I think has to start now. Any advice will be greatly appreciative. Don't try and talk me out of it, but don't be afraid to warn of pitfalls and share all experiences, even the negative ones.

Sncerely,
CitationJason
Old 02-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Do It !!

I would do it if I were you. Don't you live in Texas?

SkyHigh
Old 02-18-2006, 06:58 AM
Line Holder

Thanks SkyHigh. I do live in the Dallas, Texas area. One thing I am concerned about is whether or not the market will support another charter operator here. Any ideas on how to conduct market research, or anybody know a company that does that sort of thing for aviation?

CJ
Old 02-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Hey CJ,
I know there are companies out there that provide assistance in navigating the regulatory and paperwork nightmare of obtaining a 135 certificate. I don't remember any names specifically but I looked into a very similar operation as you are talking about for a general aviation management course and found that there was lots of assistance out there...for a price. Just google it and you should at least have somewhere to start.
As far as market research, I'm sure you can either find a private firm to do it or look into the FAA planning documents. They typically forecast the demand for various categories of aviation, including 135/on-demand. Would at least be a place to start. Hope this helps.

PS If you are having trouble finding pilots you know where to find me
Old 02-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Line Holder

Thanks a ton flyboy. You'll be the first pilot I contact! Dallas is a great place to live and work.

CJ
Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by CitationJason
Hey guys, I've got a question. It is my dream to someday (maybe) start my own Part 135 operation. I would want to do passenger operations, freight, eventually a flight school, and maybe even a fractional deal tied in with some owners looking to buy into a plane and a ranch or condo in the mountains, etc. These are all really big dreams, and it would start a lot smaller. I basically want to get started with the passenger operation. I am only 23 years old, but I want to start planning now. So my questions are as follows:

1. How do you go about obtaining a Part 135 certificate?
2. How do you create your Ops Specs?
3. How do you determine aircraft operating costs?
4. What else am I forgetting?

Despite my young age, I have some large project management and business management experience, and I have my aviation knowledge, but I want to do this with the proper planning, which I think has to start now. Any advice will be greatly appreciative. Don't try and talk me out of it, but don't be afraid to warn of pitfalls and share all experiences, even the negative ones.

Sncerely,
CitationJason
Take alot of money and be ready to turn it into a little bit of money.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2005

There are different levels of 135 ops. The most basic is a single pilot owner/operator meaming one person, one airplane. This means you have less requirements to meet such as simpler training programs, less required management personnel etc.
FAR 119 will tell you what the feds require. Also, there are consultants that can help with this stuff check out Trade-A-Plane.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005

You have different ways of getting to the same result, it depends what you really want to do. As Rama suggested, single pilot/plane is the easiest way to start, and then you can build from it, the paperwork can be intimidating, but nothing inpossible.
Another way is to star a flying school, pt 91, and then use one of the plane and the maint. facilities to "grow' To 135, while the plane still fly as a trainer.
You can put a plane on somebody else certificate, the fastest way by far, but you pay per plane/pilot and potentially trip, you depend on their`s Ops Spec, and if the FAA shuts them down you will have noo certificate to work with. Plus the Feds are becoming more strict about the definition of Operational control, so This it could go away in the near future.
Alternative, you can manage a plane for an owner. He ownes it, you put it on a certificate, when you fly the owner is under pt 91, otherwise you charter it and the owner take a cut of the profit of the trip, offsetting ownership costs.
The local Fisdo and the FAA web page are excellent sources of information for the topic in general!

Good luck

Sk3
Old 02-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Line Holder

Thank you guys so much for your help. I love these forums! This dream is still a long ways away, but I can start the research and planning process now.

Sincerely,
CitationJason
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2005

The school thing is a good idea. Otherwise you have this airplane sitting and you're paying rent, insurance, loan, etc. and not getting any revenue. The feds typically move slowly and there are lots of hoops to jump through so you are talking months and months if not longer before the first revenue flight. Six months would be incredibly fast by govenrment standards.