hardest thing about cfiing

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Most enjoyable= taking a redneck who thinks a stall is when the engine quits to a perfect checkride

Least enjoyable= 3 of my students in the pattern at the same time
Worst Part=Private Pilots who want a BFR and think they know everything (or I guess know-it-alls in general)

Best Part=Seeing myself in them when students first solo and/or pass their checkride. Seeing their satisfaction is almost as rewarding for me as it is for them.

Preparing for the CFI was hell but passing it was a great sense of satisfaction and pride.
True, and thus the real learning begins!
Make sure your patience is well in shape, because it will be exercised to the fullest extent. Like any other job in aviation (or any other job in general) it will have its ups and downs. Your first reward will be when you send your first student from scratch into the air by themselves. You will be more nervous than the student. The best part for me was that the job was 5 minutes from the house, no pat down by TSA to get to work and best of all I made my own schedule. Best of luck to you!!!
Quote: hardest: teaching doctors to fly - they just seem to be some of the worst natural pilots
I have to disagree. I would say the worst student were mechanics. Airplane mechanics not so bad but people who can fix cars really really well could never seem to fly an airplane.

The most enjoyable part of instructing for me was being a examining instructor for a 141 school. Giving checkrides was enjoyable because it is always good to see a person complete something that they have worked on for so long. Also it takes the right kind of person to be able to fail a student and build them up so that they come back.
Quote: I have to disagree. I would say the worst student were mechanics. Airplane mechanics not so bad but people who can fix cars really really well could never seem to fly an airplane.

The most enjoyable part of instructing for me was being a examining instructor for a 141 school. Giving checkrides was enjoyable because it is always good to see a person complete something that they have worked on for so long. Also it takes the right kind of person to be able to fail a student and build them up so that they come back.
I do agree with you about car mechanics!! Most of those guys can't even fix cars..and it's their job!Some of the best pilots I know are A&Ps, most have a keen understanding of the systems that a majority of pilots simply do not. There are a fair amount of bush pilots who are also A&Ps.
The reason why I say doctors were not natural pilots (and I'm sure there are some good-doctor pilots out there)... it's just been my experience (and it seems most GA NTSB reports involve doctors)... perhaps it's them having a lot of money to get into some hp aircraft, not enough time to understand concepts, maybe it's being a professional and not wanting to listen to a 24 year old kid.... I think that this new VLJ market will be the new "Doctor Killer" unfortunately that the Bonanza was years ago.
yeah, but every now and then when the occasional "say altitude" instruction from ATC provokes a defiant, "altitude!" transmission from your student it's good for a hearty laugh
Quote: I do agree with you about car mechanics!! Most of those guys can't even fix cars..and it's their job!
Ouch, maybe i should quit my second job as a car mechanic then so my flying doesn't get worse ....but i need that extra beer money!
Quote: I have to disagree. I would say the worst student were mechanics. Airplane mechanics not so bad but people who can fix cars really really well could never seem to fly an airplane.
One thing I've found that seems to work with them--if you get them early on in their training--is to have them guess the HP of the engine. They'll usually guess somewhere is the 300-600 horsepower range and, when I tell them it's a mere 180 (or less, depending on the plane), it gets them to rethink their assumptions. When I'm lucky, they'll then become interested in how a plane works instead of imagining it as some sort of souped-up car... Then I pawn them off on the poor maintenance guys for a few hours
The pukers!
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to