Cathay Pacific culture--is it really so?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to
Nope.. I flew HS125's, CE750's heaviest aircraft was 36,400 as PIC.. most of my classmates had RJ time and small business jet time. If you can fly a BE99 or 1900 that will help..
Quote: Nope.. I flew HS125's, CE750's heaviest aircraft was 36,400 as PIC.. most of my classmates had RJ time and small business jet time. If you can fly a BE99 or 1900 that will help..
I know it would look better if I had RJ time, but would they consider single engine turbine time (such as Caravan, Pilatus PC-12, etc)? These jobs might actually be more stable in this economy...
I bet they would, it can't hurt to have. Since you are going for SO the multi time may not be as important, not to sure how they view Caravan time but the more time in the book will help you to be more competitive. Good Luck and keep pressing forward with them it will be worth it.
Thanks a lot. It might sound cheesy, but I have a CX 747-400 pic with an interview gouge taped to my wall to remind me daily of why I took a massive paycut to become a flight instructor.
So would any other CX pilots (especially those who entered as Second Officers) care to chime in on what types of aircraft experience Cathay is looking for? Does anyone know if they would accept Caravan or Pilatus PC-12 (turbine PIC) time? I'm sitting at almost 950 tt with almost 200 multi right now. I'll probably have around 1300-1500 TT and 500-600 multi-engine (all dual given) when I leave my current instructing job. After that, I would like to gain turbine PIC experience. Caravan jobs would be easier to gain PIC time in soon...

Thanks
As age goes, I'm 34 and waiting for SO class date. ~900 turbine when I got the 'yes' letter. As c-driver mentioned, keep updating your info, especially once you start loging turbine time.

Take the negative posts about CX for what they are worth. Maybe the SO's have to eat a bigger sh!t sandwich than DEFO's, but IMO it's still smaller than what the U.S. airlines are offering nowadays.

FF
Finn
What was your total time, did you have Turbine PIC or SIC time and was it Pt 121 or 135? Just trying to get an idea whats competitve. I have around 2900 hours and 700 turbine with about 100 hours of Jet PIC and I applied a couple of months ago, and have not heard anything yet.
Didn't CX hit the pause button on North American hiring for now?

Skyward80
Up in Cathay City this week there are 2nd interviews for both DEFO and SOs going on (some North Americans in the bunch). An interviewer I spoke with indicated that they were interviewing for NAM starts in 18 months.
I got the call with ~2300 total, 500 Saab and 400 ERJ time, all Part 121 (had also an internal reference). Was told 2000 tt and 800 turbine were comp.mins, however I know a few guys from EU have gotten in with less than those numbers. Age seems to be between mid-twenties to mid-thirties.

Sounds like next SO class will be no earlier than summer/fall 2009, with NA DEFO's getting in early 2010. Again, this is info that keeps getting circulated between guys coming back from second interviews, pprune, airlinepilotcentral etc.

Good luck to all that played.

FF
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 5 of 6
Go to