Aviation Law Legal issues, FARs, and questions

take off and landing currency part 121

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by daniel0265 View Post

..., seems like this is just one huge GRAY area.

It's not the least bit gray. Recent experience is absolutely required.

When's your next recurrent training scheduled? That should suffice for "3 and 3".

Old 09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Yeah I just care about 121 flying not GA. So if I understand you all, I am good to go to fly 121 if I go over 90 days? Yes I am an FO.
Sorry, no I was wrong. As everyone above has said, you need the 3 landings to act as FO, but you are ok to go more than 90 days without night landings.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: crj-200 FO

My loft is in the same month I will go out of currency on the last week of nov. I am on RES and the last time I flew was the last week of Aug (4 day trip) and I have the month of OCT off. I will just talk to the CP when I get back and see if I can pick up a trip on open time. As long as I do get 3 landings by the end of NOV i will be good. Again thanks everyone.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

My loft is in the same month I will go out of currency on the last week of nov. I am on RES and the last time I flew was the last week of Aug (4 day trip) and I have the month of OCT off. I will just talk to the CP when I get back and see if I can pick up a trip on open time. As long as I do get 3 landings by the end of NOV i will be good. Again thanks everyone.
Remember it's three takeoff's and landings...just in case anyone asks. I only log landings and assume that I made that takeoff too.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 PM
No one's home

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post

"continually" ... hmm ... now, there's a technical term that I just don't recall having read in conjunction with recency of experience requirements. Again, "thinking" and "memory" aren't always the best guides.
Lecture.. er.. point taken. Not in the regs but I do know and remember at my old house, a number of personnel were maintaining currency via the sim and due to FAA 'guidance', maintaining currency solely via the sim was no longer permitted. The sim was allowed for two periods and after that, it was airplane or loss of currency. That may have been our POI, the Fed assigned to our training dept and company.. but the SFO incident caused a change at my airline.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

It's not uncommon for us to suffer from "kneejerk" reactions to events such as the one you've cited. Increased scrutiny, closer attention to the details, heightened vigilance to insure that we don't fall victim to whatever it was that caused the event to occur in the first place. Sometimes those changes translate into NTSB recommendations, and on rare occassions they actually result in changing the rules. I'm not denying that things changed at your airline or that the FAA even imparted to your company through some channel that they'd like to see certain things done certain ways. All I'm saying is the question asked by the original poster can be answered by referencing the Code of Federal Regulations.

That's all.