Search
Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

4 year degree Aviation Management???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Default 4 year degree Aviation Management???

I decided to go back to school for a BS degree. I still want to pursue an aviation related career. I filed BK on my Keybank loans from flight school and that is soon to be in my past. Any insight from any of you on what type of aviation degree to pursue? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

I think most aviation related careers, even management, don't require an aviation degree. One of my former station agents (I am a ramper for an airline) had an aviation degree, and said if he could do over, he would have gotten a general business degree, with a focus on management, rather than the focus on aviation.

What kind of career are you looking at?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:15 PM
New Hire

I am open to a lot of things. I am sure that I want to minor in Spanish, I am sure I'd like to get flight benefits. I don't want to be an ATC or Commercial pilot anymore(flight school I attended in AZ took my money in BK). I attended UVSC now UVU in Orem, UT for Aviation Science a while back but moved to AZ for FBO flight school. I like the idea of getting a general business degree and still being able to work at an airport. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I think a general business degree would allow you to work in aviation, such as working at an airport, or for an airline, in management, whether it be at the corporate office, or as a station manager. I don't think you would need a degree specifically in aviation, for that, as many do not. It would also open doors outside of aviation, in the event you want to pursue that, at some point.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Definitely get the general business degree. Much more useful, known, and accepted. Trust me on this!! I got an aviation business degree, and I've found it about as useful as a degree in underwater basket weaving.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Definitely get the general business degree. Much more useful, known, and accepted. Trust me on this!! I got an aviation business degree, and I've found it about as useful as a degree in underwater basket weaving.

As the bro's on the corner say: True dat!

I, too, have an business degree; albeit it's from Riddle and I finished in '87. BS in Aeronautical Studies w/AOC in Air Transportation Management. Basically, I majored in Airline Management, however, all of my professional experience has been in airport management. I've worked the ramp for DAL & CMR @ KPBI and KCVG respectively.

I would encourage you to pursue airport management and operations. Become very familiar with FARs 77, 139, 1520, 1540, and 1542. Know it like the back of your hand. In addition Part 150....deals with noise contours around an airport.

Understand this though, in the field of airport management, it is usually operated by either city or county employees or that government seat may have created an Airport Authority which may or may not be seated city council members or county commissioners.

Google Association of American Airport Executives. Follow the links to view all of the posted job openings, then come back to "Leaving the Career thread and share your findings and thoughts. I think you will like what you see in terms of starting salaries.

All the best.

atp

Last edited by atpwannabe; 09-28-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
New Hire

It looks like those jobs as a airport operations manager pay well. 55-130K per year depends on experience and size of the operation. Required 4 year degree: in aviation, management, political science, or administration.

What job would give my family flight benefits?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by bigstupidjerk View Post
It looks like those jobs as a airport operations manager pay well. 55-130K per year depends on experience and size of the operation. Required 4 year degree: in aviation, management, political science, or administration.

What job would give my family flight benefits?

You're right...salaries are good. Again, keep your ear to the ground. I know for a fact the AOR's(Aviation Operations Representatives) @ ATL start out over 32K. This is entry level. Sky is the limit.

I don't believe that any job in Airport Management and Operations offers flight benes. However, not sure as to what type of "perks" say for instance that a Director of Airports for airports like LAX, DFW, ORD, MIA, ATL, JFK may get or be entitled to.

atp
Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Those are some nice jobs. My local airport is hiring a marketing manager, pay up to $71K, and they give you a take-home vehicle.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Hey guys,

I need a suggestions on this one. I did not make it through the probationary period at an airline and they wanted me to resign with possibility of getting rehired again after six months. However, after seeing how things operates in the industry, I am becoming more incline to pursue something else for the time being.

I graduated with two degrees: Aviation management being one of them. Right now, I am interested in finding a job at an airport in management position. Does anyone have an insight info with regard to airport employments?