Aviation Law Legal issues, FARs, and questions

Housing lease knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: CFII. MEI - C150 seatlocked.
Default Housing lease knowledge

I am not making it as a full time flght instuctor at my current location due to a boss caring about nothing more than me have a heartbeat and not how good of an instructor am i.
so my question is... who out there has knowledge about getting out of a housing lease early with no credit penalty
im sure im not the only pilot who has been in this predicament before
appreciate the help to anyone who can help.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Portuguese Troubleshooter

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Burrito Bomber

A lot of it depends on the laws where you live. However, every lease I have ever signed has language that prevents early termination and/or subleasing without some kind of buyout or penalty.

I don't suppose you have talked to your landlord yet? In some cases they may let you out if they can turn it around pretty quickly. On the other hand, if you live in a big complex, management may not even realize it if you do indeed sublease. Just remember you are responsible if your tennant is late.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 PM
A Second Past V1

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Assumed

Im going to say these two things, then put my hands in my pockets and whistle away...

1. You technically live at a location if you are getting mail there and youre 'there' for 6 months.

2. People still pay for things in cash.

This is the internet, so feel free to take whatever you see with a grain of salt :cool:

Last edited by Outlaw2097; 09-28-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by cappelation View Post
I am not making it as a full time flght instuctor at my current location due to a boss caring about nothing more than me have a heartbeat and not how good of an instructor am i.
so my question is... who out there has knowledge about getting out of a housing lease early with no credit penalty
im sure im not the only pilot who has been in this predicament before
appreciate the help to anyone who can help.
Get a job working for the military at a different location. A) It pays great and B) the place you're leasing from is forced to let you out of your lease. After my first 6 months I was earning around $70K as a CFI. Send me a pm if you want to know more. I can't promise that exact opportunity exists but I know where to send your app.

On another note... If you don't have anything in your name then simply tell them to sue you. I've been down that road, not your circumstance but close, and managed to get out of it.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B777 FO

It really depends if you are dealing with a large company or an individual landlord. I know for my tenants, if they have something like this I have no problem working with them. You will most likely lose your deposit though. If you are able to find another tenant for the property then the landlord may also be more receptive.

Read your lease top to bottom and check for anything that spells out the terms of an early termination. Be prepared to pay a penalty since the landlord has to remarket the property before they planned to.

Do not risk placing someone else in the property behind your landlord's back. Something like that is grounds for a lease termination by the landlord meaning it will show up as an eviction if you get found out. Honesty is the best policy in this case. You signed a contract and there are legal remedies to get out of it but it will probably cost you some money.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 9K CA

All the advice on here has been excellent, and I would definitely agree. Read the lease so you know what the ground rules are, and then talk to your landlord. They are human beings, so they will at least listen to you.

I do have one thing to add though. If they don't let you out of the lease and you have to keep paying, make sure you check in on things every once in a while. The reason I say this is that if the landlord keeps you in the lease, but then rents the place out again, it is illegal. No double rent payments! And some will try to do that. Hopefully you don't end up having to deal with something like that, but just check in from time to time to make sure you aren't getting screwed.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

All leases are different and all states have slightly different landlord-tenant laws.

Some leases allow you to give proper notice, pay a fee and you can leave early. Some leases allow you to sublease. Landlords are obligated to find another lessee as soon as possible, but you are still liable for the rent up until the new tenant moves in. Other leases let you cancel the lease if your employer imposes a mandatory transfer for XX number of miles.

For military personnel, some leases allow you to break it if you receive an order for a permanent change of station or a temporary change for 3 months. However, you have to have been in the military when the lease was signed. I am still looking for a law in any state that gives you this option for joining the military. I would hope that you join the military because you want to serve your country, not because you want to break your current lease.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: CFII. MEI - C150 seatlocked.
Default thanks

thanks for the all good advice.
and of coarse joining the military for the cause and goal i mean f16s right doesnt get any better than that