Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Embry Riddle: to go or not to go >

Embry Riddle: to go or not to go

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Embry Riddle: to go or not to go

Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2009

I realize this thread has been dead for quite some time now, possibly an understatement, but I was curious if you guys would recommend erau for their aerospace engineering or a&p programs. thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Originally Posted by N6724G View Post
A lot of people have the wrong idea about ERAU> Its just a regular university with an aviation ans aerospace programs. You dont have to go there to become a pilot. They have a good engineering and aerospace program. But many people I know took flying lessons in a local FBO and just took regular classes at ERAU.
If they have good engineering and aerospace programs, they why is it that nobody knows this?

Go to a regular college, get a business or technical degree in something other than Aviation.

No matter where you apply, airlines, military, or other work sectors, you'll be more marketable.

Found this online ...

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...spec-doct-aero
Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 88 Gunner

Graduated from riddle last December, and I strongly feel that only thing that really was worth the money was internships with 2 different major airlines. If one of those help me out down the road and I get to go to a legacy a year or two before other people, I would be happy. But than again, not everyone at Riddle get an internship.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
av8r88,

Ditto what they said plus you cant count on getting hired at the majors. You can't even count on there being high paying flying jobs in the future. However you can count on over 100K in school debt that will crush any chances you have of at least enjoying a modest flying career. I have a friend who graduated from ERU over 20 years ago and still is over 80K in debt in school loans.

I would not go !! Find a nice local school get a business degree and fly on the side.

SKyHigh
Mr. Sunshine is back
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF

Just got an e-mail from ERAU about a tuition increase next semester... however, in the e-mail their goal is still "to provide the best experience in aviation, aerospace and engineering education at the most affordable price"

I think it's running somewhere in the $900-1000/credit hour price

-On a side note all colleges in universities in FL are increasing tuition by some amount.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: PA-44 Left Seat :P

Originally Posted by ryan1234 View Post
Just got an e-mail from ERAU about a tuition increase next semester... however, in the e-mail their goal is still "to provide the best experience in aviation, aerospace and engineering education at the most affordable price"

I think it's running somewhere in the $900-1000/credit hour price

-On a side note all colleges in universities in FL are increasing tuition by some amount.
To add to that, they increased the price of renting this year as well.
Don't go to ERAU unless its for engineering. They might not be as well known but their program is great nonetheless.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

When I was in the army i was enrolled in ERAU distance learning. I can say it sounds great to be part of a reputable school. However even with tuition assistance and pell grants they are extremely expensive. I am in a 141 school paying cash for all my training (no debts... i hope). Im half way through my Comm SEL and I think so far I have spent about 15K for my training. I got out of ERAU and I transferred to Utah Valley university aviation. The tuition is cheaper and you can challenge the flight courses with your ratings. So much easier than spending 100K on tuition in DAB. It may be an aviation degree which for a back up in the future probably wont help me, but I can get my college and flight experience at home and still be on time for dinner and be able to afford my car and other stuff.

Aviation Science Department

Thats just my two cents. Only nightmare I can think of is working at a regional making less money than I am now as Delta CSA. The beating you have to take to make it in this career is incredible. But then again I wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2009

I went to Riddle for one semester. Just one.
I logged 12 hours and took 5 classes and now I'm $20,000 in debt.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Dont buy into the ERAU hype. Go to a state school and learn to fly at a small 61 school. You'll save yourself a ton of money. I pay 700 a month on school loans from ERAU.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Left Seat

Just do it if u doing the Controller program!

went to ERAU, good school!

if its the flying part don't do it, to expensive u can go to epic aviation to do your rating there @ DAB