Reduced Retirement Age Policy

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Did you Guard/Reserve types see the new message that clarifies the Reduction in Age 60 policy? They clarified it to read ANY Active Duty day counts (besides Annual Tour, AGR, and some other wierd ones like court martial duty) and it is cummulative. There was a perception out there that the days had to be in support of a contigency (not true) and they had to be consecutive (not true). So if you did an AD day every Mon., Wed., Fri., Sat. or Sun. at home station, you would reduce your retirement by 180 days per year. Pretty good deal for us, I appreciate the hard work on those that fought for this legislation and the clarification. Now if we can just get them to retroactive it to 9/11...
That's good news for the Guard/Reserve folks. I hope they do make it retroactive. The Age 60 rule is a little steep to an otherwise good program.
Please explain this? I am new.
That's good news. I thought it was only mobilization in support of a contingency, and each 90 day block had to be cumulative in the same FY.
Dean, you got a source so I can pass it on to the guys up here
Came from our PA folks (of all places) down here, it's on my work email and I'll send it to you when I get back from my TDY next week but it came down from people higher than me and it was an official comminuque so I'm 95% sure it's legit.

Mike, remember OPSEC, no first names on here! ;-)
Let me clarify a bit...they do have to be 90 day blocks in a Fiscal Year so 179 days of AD in a FY only gets 90 days knocked off age 60. It's 90/180/270/360 (or 365, more than likely) chunks that count but they are cumulative in a FY they don't have to be consecutive blocks. So you could work an 89 day TDY somewhere in Feb/Mar/Apr then do a 2 day alert mid Sept. and that would pay you 91 AD days but only knock 90 days off your age 60. Make a little more sense?

Kinda wierd that MPA obviously counts but AGR doesn't...I guess they figure if you're AGR, you might as well put in 20 active and get your retirement in your 40's.
So for a fella who leaves active duty at 10 years of service does this mean they can retire at 50? Or does this only apply to AD time after separation?
Quote: So for a fella who leaves active duty at 10 years of service does this mean they can retire at 50? Or does this only apply to AD time after separation?
I'm certain it's only AD performed in a reserve/guard status.
When, How, and Where?
I haven't seen nor heard of this yet. When is it effective, or more importantly, retroactive to?

I've done lots of MPA /AD that totals over 180 days for the last 10 years. With some luck, I might be looking at age 56....

If someone has the actual Press Release, please post it here...thanks.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to