Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
VA approved type rating >

VA approved type rating

Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

VA approved type rating

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Default VA approved type rating

I am looking to get my ATP here in the near future and need some input. I will eventually get the free one here at work but I have been applying and trying to get into 135/91 work in the area and not having the ATP on the resume is not helping.

I have figured that the cheapest I have found is a guy up in presque isle and the fee is 2k or so.

Now my logic. I have military GI benefits and figured if I can find a VA approved type rating for around 5k that the price would be 2k out of pocket after reimbursement. I understand that a CE500 or a B737 type rating without time in type is useless but my argument is that is it any more useless than 3 more hours in a seneca?

Anyone know of any places offering VA approved type ratings? I am looking for innexpensive and understand that for the price I am not going to get the best training available just trying to get the check in the box. Something in the bizjet category would be ideal but I understand that the 737 will probably be the least expensive.

I have done the requisite google searches but have been falling short. FTI no longer offers it but they advertise that they do.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

I did exactly what you are doing. Got my 737 type at Higher Power. They were good but a little more expensive than some of the others.

Higher Power Aviation
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

If you're looking to get away from the airlines, the cessna type might be the way to go.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: EMB-145

Originally Posted by usmc-sgt View Post
Now my logic. I have military GI benefits and figured if I can find a VA approved type rating for around 5k that the price would be 2k out of pocket after reimbursement. I understand that a CE500 or a B737 type rating without time in type is useless but my argument is that is it any more useless than 3 more hours in a seneca?
It's more than simple hours. A few things to consider:

1. An ATP is one thing. An ATP + a type rating is another resume bullet. In a tight hiring market you will need every edge you can acquire. If the cost is near the same, go for the better resume.

2. Passing an ATP is one thing, passing an ATP + type is more difficult. Those doing the hiring know this fact even if the type isn't one of their fleet types. Since it isn't stamped on the applicant's foreheads, employers are always looking for indication that the applicant will be a good employee and capable of passing the training with the least trouble possible. The logic is this; Pilots in training cost money, pilots on the line make money. Employers hate to see pilots have problems have trouble in training or, worse, flunk out because it costs them big bucks in terms of pay, insurance and training costs. If you have solid proof you can hack it, then you look better to them than an person whose qualifications are less apparent.

3. You've earned your VA benefits. They'll enhance your training by providing more bang for the buck even if out of pocket expenses are equal or even if they are slightly more.

4. Choosing which aircraft to be typed in is a tougher call than deciding on earning a type rating. As Rickair mentioned, are you looking at the airlines or corporate? If the airlines, regardless of the type, most domestic USA airlines aren't hiring. Even when they start, the openings will likely be the regionals since the few legacy carrier openings will become highly competitive by regional pilots who already have a few thousand hours of Part 121 time. Corporate is also competitive, but might be easier for someone who is willing to relocate. I haven't done the research, but would recommend looking into the most common type of aircraft being flown by corporate. If an airline, then having a type in a CRJ or an EMB might be the best way to go.

Semper Fi, Marine!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Definately not looking towards the airlines. I mentioned the 73 type because typically it is the least expensive and in the off chance that I decide that I want to stay 121 forever it may *help* open that magical southwest door if I decide to go looking that way.

Is higher power VA approved? Anyone know of any bizjet schools that are VA approved? I figure the CE500/BE400/LJ20 series are probably the least expensive and most useful. There is actually a place at Mclellan Palomar that does the CE500 for a little over 5 grand but unfortunately not VA approved. That is certainly a great price but im looking to make a wise decision financially and the MGIB is probably the best option instead of spending 5k+ out of pocket.

thanks for the great info so far
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Yes Higher Power is VA approved. At least when I did it; got a check back and everything.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Default B737 Type

Buddy got his at www.newair.us
Online course, great instructors, five and a half days onsite for about $5k.