Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: Boardroom Chair

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
Practice, practice, practice.

I recently read "The Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. He looks at people that were considered geniuses in their field, and finds (surprise, surprise) that they are not successful because of raw talent alone, but also because of practice, practice, practice. In fact, interestingly enough, 10,000 hours seems to be the magic number before people become true experts. This was true for Bill gates, Mozart, etc.

So you've got 10,000 hours of masterdebating to log before you can be considered a true master debater, the same way Gates is a master in his field. But you have to be your own person, because it's certainly OK to look to Gates as an example in general terms, but it's not OK to think about Gates as you masterdebate.
As pictured in the magazine "Teen Beat"

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Happy to be here

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A-320A

Slow Thursday.............

Not that Slow
Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: LAX ERA

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
Anyone that's ever argued with their wife knows what skilled master debaters they are, and all of us suspect they practice masterdebating as much as we do. But you can never get one to admit that she masterdebates.
Good luck.
The classic one liner on this issue is at the very end. Sorry, have to sit through the the masterdebte

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHcpylvIw8

Last edited by Ferd149; 03-24-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: replace link
Old 03-24-2011, 03:20 PM
veut gagner à la loterie

Position: Light Chop

Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
As pictured in the magazine "Teen Beat"

Jab, when discussing master debating please don't post pictures of Bill Gates.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
veut gagner à la loterie

Look, can we all just agree that when practicing master debating skills that one shall not "badger the witness."
Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Back on TDY

Position: 747-400 Captain

Well, I think we all got to see what is in our future via what just happened at FedEx. With our brand new ALPA president at the helm, a Tentative Agreement was announced by the FDX MEC after only a few months of negotiating. Took most every member by surprise. Found out that it extended the current contract either one or two more years depending on the MEC's desire. In return, the pilots got a 3% pay raise. This from a company that makes BILLIONS in net profit.

The FDX MEC then puts out a massive PR campaign via road shows to convince the pilots to vote YES. Not educate them on the facts, but to vote YES. Results: TA voted in by 68%.

This is the new ALPA.

Carl
Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 PM
veut gagner à la loterie

They don't like to master debate up there in Herndon Carl.

The solution still to me is to have a President, not a King.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Retired, again...
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Well, I think we all got to see what is in our future via what just happened at FedEx. With our brand new ALPA president at the helm, a Tentative Agreement was announced by the FDX MEC after only a few months of negotiating. Took most every member by surprise. Found out that it extended the current contract either one or two more years depending on the MEC's desire. In return, the pilots got a 3% pay raise. This from a company that makes BILLIONS in net profit.

The FDX MEC then puts out a massive PR campaign via road shows to convince the pilots to vote YES. Not educate them on the facts, but to vote YES. Results: TA voted in by 68%.

This is the new ALPA.

Carl
Hey Carl,

I generally agree with your opinions, however you have become a master of understatement on this issue. A 3% pay raise was only one facet of the TA....which is hopefully a bridge to a full contract once the new flight/duty regs are known.

You do FedEx pilots a great disservice when you imply that a 3% raise was the only item gained. Fedex pilots hotly debated the merits of this TA....and the membership decided the outcome via memrat.....not via Alpa national in your thinly veiled reference.

I think you are better than this.....-1, Carl.

BG
Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Back on TDY

Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by FedElta View Post
Hey Carl,

I generally agree with your opinions, however you have become a master of understatement on this issue. A 3% pay raise was only one facet of the TA....
I have a number of FDX buds and I've been reading every thread associated with your TA that is now a contract. I've never said that the 3% pay raise was the only facet of the TA. I've said it's the only positive part that I know of. 4A2B is virtually the same, etc. If you think there are many other positive facets of it, then I'm sure you're happy now.

which is hopefully a bridge to a full contract once the new flight/duty regs are known.
Hope all you want, but exactly why would management care to give you a new contract? You just agreed to one. One with a 3% pay raise. Your next contract will have to follow the normal Section 6/RLA/NMB process. How ever many years that process takes, you'll be working for those years for 3% more than you're making right now.

You do FedEx pilots a great disservice when you imply that a 3% raise was the only item gained.
I'm not implying it...I'm saying it. IMO, you agreed to the foreign domiciles, and keeping 4A2B etc, for 3%. Many, many other FDX pilots agree with that assessment - so I'm not sure I'm doing a disservice to all FDX pilots.

Fedex pilots hotly debated the merits of this TA....and the membership decided the outcome via memrat.....not via Alpa national in your thinly veiled reference.
Again, I don't thinly veil anything. The majority voted this in...that is indisputable. But FDX ALPA (with the financial and expert resources of ALPA national) put forth a tremendous sales pitch via a series of road shows. Not a fact statement - a sales pitch. That is what I hope we can avoid at Delta when our time comes. My hope is that we can get this failed "union" of ours to just give us the facts, instead of sales pitches and scare tactics to vote YES.

I think you are better than this.....-1, Carl.

BG
I'm never better than when I'm voicing my fact based opinions.

Carl
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Retired, again...

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
I have a number of FDX buds and I've been reading every thread associated with your TA that is now a contract. I've never said that the 3% pay raise was the only facet of the TA. I've said it's the only positive part that I know of. 4A2B is virtually the same, etc. If you think there are many other positive facets of it, then I'm sure you're happy now.

Hope all you want, but exactly why would management care to give you a new contract? You just agreed to one. One with a 3% pay raise. Your next contract will have to follow the normal Section 6/RLA/NMB process. How ever many years that process takes, you'll be working for those years for 3% more than you're making right now.

I'm not implying it...I'm saying it. IMO, you agreed to the foreign domiciles, and keeping 4A2B etc, for 3%. Many, many other FDX pilots agree with that assessment - so I'm not sure I'm doing a disservice to all FDX pilots.

Again, I don't thinly veil anything. The majority voted this in...that is indisputable. But FDX ALPA (with the financial and expert resources of ALPA national) put forth a tremendous sales pitch via a series of road shows. Not a fact statement - a sales pitch. That is what I hope we can avoid at Delta when our time comes. My hope is that we can get this failed "union" of ours to just give us the facts, instead of sales pitches and scare tactics to vote YES.

I'm never better than when I'm voicing my fact based opinions.

Carl
From your statements of fact-based opinions, I can only conclude that you either have incomplete knpwledge of all facets ofthe TA, or you intentionally ignored them......and BTW, I am a Delta Air Lines pilot....more of your "facts" ?