Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

Commuter Hell

Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB120 CA
Default Commuter Hell

Public perception never ceases to amaze me....

washingtonpost.com
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by fatmike69 View Post
Public perception never ceases to amaze me....

washingtonpost.com
Well of course we're going to end up reading something like that. I'm kinda surprised it took this long.

The media is going to say whatever they can to get a story out of the public. If they sense fear, they're going to pounce on it. If they sense anger they going to manipulate it. Just the way it goes. It sucks, but it doesn't surprise me a bit that an article that like was published.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Yep, the lady at the end, who wouldn't fly the prop because of children in the cockpit, was the icing on the cake. Lady, if there is going to be a turbo prop accident, it probably wouldn't be under the skies of CA where the worst weather you can have is an overcast layer. Not to mention Skywest has never gone down because of pilot error.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Does SkyWest even fly in the Northeast? I know they fly pretty as far as ORD, but I don't know how far east they actually went.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM
What's A Weekend?

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Big...So Big

Originally Posted by captain152 View Post
Does SkyWest even fly in the Northeast? I know they fly pretty as far as ORD, but I don't know how far east they actually went.
Skywest does CVG-PHL and I have seen them in JFK, all part of DAL not wanting one regional to dominate a market. Hmmm, I don't see Comair in SLC.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009

i'm not sure what the article's point was but up until the last couple of paragraphs i think it's a pretty fair assessment that the general flying public have of flying on a regional - rightly or wrongly.

i fly on rj's because i have to. i'd prefer not too but that's me. the rj's are smaller. they are a little noisier (except for when you sit at the back of an md-80 ). and to be honest i too have noticed, that on a couple of occasions, the co-pilots have been young. this is not a knock on them but just what i have noticed. most don't realize the training that these guys go through and just see the 22 yr old guy programming the autopilot when boarding the plane. hence the public perception.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
C21H30O2

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: L/R or workin' the panels!

they operate into cvg
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Tiki bar

Originally Posted by thepaxman View Post
i'm not sure what the article's point was but up until the last couple of paragraphs i think it's a pretty fair assessment that the general flying public have of flying on a regional - rightly or wrongly.

i fly on rj's because i have to. i'd prefer not too but that's me. the rj's are smaller. they are a little noisier (except for when you sit at the back of an md-80 ). and to be honest i too have noticed, that on a couple of occasions, the co-pilots have been young. this is not a knock on them but just what i have noticed. most don't realize the training that these guys go through and just see the 22 yr old guy programming the autopilot when boarding the plane. hence the public perception.
I can understand this, what is offensive is when the public sees me (I just turned 24) and automatically thinks that they are unsafe. I worked extremely hard for the past 7 years since I started flying to get to where I am today. (Even though I am furloughed now...). I flew in all types of weather, flew skydivers for two years in raggedy old airplanes, had my fair share of experiences and situations that were handled accordingly... all before coming to the airlines.

It probably is comforting to see 'gray' hair on your pilots when you step on board, but do you know how long that gray haired pilot has been flying or what his experience is? Maybe he is a career changer that started his flight training 8 months ago at a 'pilot mill' like ATP. Just because someone is older, doesnt mean they are more experienced. I'm sure you have heard the famous quote "don't judge a book by it's cover". The same applies here.

The next time you step into an aircraft and you see that 24 year old up front, think before you assume. That 24 year old may have 3,000 hours or more and several years of experience with that airline and even more experience with other flying like banner towing, glider towing, flight instructing, flying skydivers, pipeline patrol, night cargo in cessnas, etc. We are all trained to the same standards, no matter what the experience. There are very few "Sully's" in the cockpit, and even he had to start somewhere.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

At least the "lady at the end" put her money where her mouth is and is now driving. My advice to anyone else who feels the same way would be to take alternate forms of transportation. I find it very ironic that lately many of us on APC have been crucifying the media for the way that they comment about aviation issues, but many so-called pilots on this site are doing the exact same thing (e.g. jumping to conclusions before the facts are known and generalizing that entire populations of pilots (regional, civilian, young, etc.) are basically incompetent slobs). The main difference is that the media's motives are financial, while the pilots' motives are mostly ego.

Last edited by Droog; 02-26-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

Originally Posted by GrUpGrDn View Post
they operate into cvg
SkyWest does/did fly into Halifax (ATL), Toronto (SLC), Philly (MKE/CVG), BWI, HPN, PIT, RDU, Greensomething in South Carolina, Dayton, CLE, Buffalo... off the top of my head.