jet transition

Subscribe
anyone know of a really good book about transitioning from piston aircraft to turbine aircraft... price isnt really an issue, as long as its worth it
Jets are easy to operate...Turboprops a bit more complex...Focus on high altitude flying...There is a book called "Flying The Wing" or "Fly The Wing"...I think it was written by an Ex Eastern Captain since it has an L-1011 Eastern Aircraft on the cover....Cheers
I haven't picked it up yet, but I've heard "The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" is a good one.
The best reading that you can do is to thoroughly read through the aircraft operating manual. Most of what you need to know is in there. Supplement it with some reading about high altitude aerodynamics and flight physiology stuff.
How about anything with physics/fluid dynamics (yeah... I'm a geek)? Helpful to know about this stuff as far as practical applications? Any recommended reading/resources?
Quote: How about anything with physics/fluid dynamics (yeah... I'm a geek)? Helpful to know about this stuff as far as practical applications? Any recommended reading/resources?
Get the Naval Aviators flight textbook, it covers all the usual stuff, but includes the higher level math and physics...definately a few notches above the "Regional Jets for Dummies" training you will get at most regionals. It's a light blue softcover and you can buy it in most pilot stores.
NOTE to new or soon-to-be RJ Pilots: You MUST MUST MUST read and understand high-altitude aerodynamics!!! Most regionals absolutely blow this stuff off because it is over the heads of many of their ground instructors! This has gotten a little better since pinnacle, but it's still bad at some companies.

There are RJ's STILL falling out of the sky (post-pinnacle) due to complacency brought on by a failure to appreciate the operating environment...it really is different at FL390!!! Typical event involves a high-altitude stall due to climb/ airspeed mis-management resulting in an extreme vertical rate, zero G, and loss of 5K-10K feet. Every seat cushion in the back will need to be replaced (and maybe the front too), ATC will violate your @ss, and you better hope you're not on probation...
Quote: Get the Naval Aviators flight textbook, it covers all the usual stuff, but includes the higher level math and physics...definately a few notches above the "Regional Jets for Dummies" training you will get at most regionals. It's a light blue softcover and you can buy it in most pilot stores.
The upper level aerodynamics courses here require this text. Your not kidding, it's a high level of math and physics; all around pretty good read. Interestingly, the prof who teaches the course is a Naval Acadamy grad who studied under the author of the book, H. H. Hurt, while at Annapolis.