Aviation subcommittee hearings live

Subscribe
2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Page 6 of 14
Go to
Quote: Lousy argument, the same can be said for bus drivers and hotel shuttle van drivers. Pilots need to stop putting themselves on a pedestal. In a free enterprise you cannot govern what a private company chooses to pay it's workers. When that happens- you can say goodbye to Democracy.

It sucks, but it's the truth.
The (Non-RLA) Federal Minimum Wage has destroyed Democracy. Are you planning on not ever collecting Social Security, or Unemployment, or Welfare, or Medicare, or Medicaid, etc. just out of principle? To preserve the fundamentals of Democracy? To each his own, I guess. Not trying to bash you, at all. I'm just wondering how you're rationalizing your opinion. Let's try to keep it civil. BTW- I'm not even a supporter of a Pilot Minimum Wage. Just confused on the argument you present....I never claimed to be a smart man.
sniper thanks for the summary of the hearing
Did Prater ever mention the RLA and how that holds us back? Or the abuse of bankruptcy laws?
Quote: Lousy argument, the same can be said for bus drivers and hotel shuttle van drivers. Pilots need to stop putting themselves on a pedestal. In a free enterprise you cannot govern what a private company chooses to pay it's workers. When that happens- you can say goodbye to Democracy.

It sucks, but it's the truth.
This has my vote for the worst post ever on APC.

How can you not compare the piloting profession to surgery? Both require a high degree of skill and knowledge. Both require teamwork, leadership and careful execution. When mistakes are made in both lines of work, people's lives are at risk. I think the comparison is very appropriate and our compensation should be such to reflect the level of precision, knowledge, skill and responsibility we are required to carry day in and day out.
I totally agree and could not have said it better myself. Thanks Diver Driver.
in surgery only one person can die at once, in piloting 400 or more can die at once !
Quote: This has my vote for the worst post ever on APC.
Its not even close to being the worst post ever on APC...despite how strongly you may disagree with it.

There are parallels between aviation and medicine, including career progressions and responsibilities...but there are also great differences between the two, the primary one being that nobody becomes a doctor or surgeon for fun but plenty of people become pilots for fun.
Quote: This has my vote for the worst post ever on APC.

How can you not compare the piloting profession to surgery? Both require a high degree of skill and knowledge. Both require teamwork, leadership and careful execution. When mistakes are made in both lines of work, people's lives are at risk. I think the comparison is very appropriate and our compensation should be such to reflect the level of precision, knowledge, skill and responsibility we are required to carry day in and day out.
Definitely NOT the worst post in APC history. I think I have posted far worse, but I digress.

People make faulty comparisons all the time. A comparison is not an argument but merely a way of illustrating a point of view. Haven't you ever heard of the old "it's like comparing apples and oranges" cliché? Indeed, apples and oranges can be compared, there are both similarities and differences.

A difference between surgeons and pilots: surgery is generally required whereas flying is optional.

One important similarity between surgeons and pilots: ego.
it takes 10ish year to be a doc while it takes 90ish days to be a pilot. not sure whether getting a masters or beyond would h really change pay for pilots.
Quote: it takes 10ish year to be a doc while it takes 90ish days to be a pilot. not sure whether getting a masters or beyond would h really change pay for pilots.
MD programs are 4 years.
2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 
Page 6 of 14
Go to