Crash Lot- coming to an airport near you

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Check out this story from the LA Times:

LAX parking lot is home away from home for airline workers - Los Angeles Times
Definately a sign of the times. The glory days of aviation are over.
Had some guys do this at MEM a few yrs ago in the pilot parking lot off of Democrat and the CP put the K-bosh on it.

But earlier than that I knew of a guy who lived in his pickup truck (with camper) in the pilot lot and scheduling would come out, knock on his window, draft him for trips and then drive him to ops!
The only thing unusual is it being in an airport parking lot. Just a different crash pad arrangement.
I wonder if we have anyone from the forum who has done this......??
Quote: I wonder if we have anyone from the forum who has done this......??

No but I had friends that used an RV parked in the LGA crew lot as a crash pad.
I thought about it but being based in EWR I thought about the logistics such as being able to plug in and where to dump the lav etc.

I then realized id more than likely need it at a campground and after doing the math between buying the camper and then keeping it at a campground for power/water/lav convenience it was the cost of a few years crashpad.

If I were based at a ALB or a ITH or SYR or any of those northeast outstation bases then it would be a bit easier.

The way this industry is going there will be hoovervilles outside each airport.
For some reason, this made me think of the chopper pilot in Clear and Present Danger.
Must beat a crash pad
When I was LAX based I knew several people that had the RV crashpads. Pretty convenient if you don't have to spend much time there.

Kinda loud at night if you're trying to get sleep I guess.

If you get bored, just drive it down to the El Segundo area and hook up there and hang out on the beach.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to