Flying the Line

Subscribe
Hey all. I have heard in the past that ALPA members could request a copy of Flying the Line, not sure which volumes, on the ALPA website. I've looked all over the website and searched these forums but can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Can only imagine what would be in and what it would be called in a "volume 3" about the industry in modern times....
ALPA wouldn't distribute that one to its membership for free; it'd have some less-than-complimentary things to say about the Association.
Quote: ALPA wouldn't distribute that one to its membership for free; it'd have some less-than-complimentary things to say about the Association.
Are you sure about that? I got both in my indoc class when the ALPA membership guy came in. While the books were commissioned by ALPA, they didn't have editorial power over what went in there.

To the OP, call your membership chair or LEC rep. They can get one for you.
Quote: Are you sure about that? I got both in my indoc class when the ALPA membership guy came in. While the books were commissioned by ALPA, they didn't have editorial power over what went in there.

To the OP, call your membership chair or LEC rep. They can get one for you.
I do believe he was talking about if there were a volume 3 published. That would have "less-than-complimentary things" in it about ALPA...
I was talking about a theoretical Volume III covering the last 20 yrs or so. Volumes I & II certainly reported on some of the warts & internal strife within ALPA but overall took a pretty positive tack regarding its contribution to the profession. I'm not sure Mr. Hopkins would be so positive, particularly about ALPA's foresight or lack thereof in allowing a huge chunk of mainline flying to be outsourced to the lowest bidder without regard for the pay or conditions it was to be flown under or for the union affiliation of those doing the flying.

Then again maybe I'm putting words in his mouth. I believe Mr. Hopkins is still alive, I see editorials by him in the papers occasionally. Would be interesting to see a Volume III.
Quote: Can only imagine what would be in and what it would be called in a "volume 3" about the industry in modern times....
Quote: I was talking about a theoretical Volume III covering the last 20 yrs or so. Volumes I & II certainly reported on some of the warts & internal strife within ALPA but overall took a pretty positive tack regarding its contribution to the profession. I'm not sure Mr. Hopkins would be so positive, particularly about ALPA's foresight or lack thereof in allowing a huge chunk of mainline flying to be outsourced to the lowest bidder without regard for the pay or conditions it was to be flown under or for the union affiliation of those doing the flying.

Then again maybe I'm putting words in his mouth. I believe Mr. Hopkins is still alive, I see editorials by him in the papers occasionally. Would be interesting to see a Volume III.
The last 9 years rival the kios of the De-Reg/80's.

A. Comair Strike
B. 9/11
C. Mainline BK’s
D. LCC Boom
E. Huge Mainline concessionary contracts
F. Outsourcing of mainline flying: thousands of experienced pilots become unemployed.
G. The Regional Boom: bringing in thousands of low time pilots willing to work for extremely low wages.
H. Big Oil
I. Airline collapses: Aloha, ATA, ACA/Indy Air, CAT, Etc.
J. Airline consolidations: The US/AWA’s war, DAL/NWA,
K. MEH/F9/RAH debacle
L. And the list goes on........................

You can guarantee that Tilton, Ornstein (Mesa/Freedom/Go!:Aloha:Hawaiian) and Hulas (TSA:GoJet) will be talked about as well as a few others.
Quote: ALPA wouldn't distribute that one to its membership for free; it'd have some less-than-complimentary things to say about the Association.
They would never distribute it because they are still striving on what their brothers before them accomplished. They know damn well that they would be laughed at if others looked back and reflected on them.

Alpa= We are strong and united. No, Your brothers before you were strong and united. You are a joke!