Louisiana Tech Aviation Program

Subscribe
This fall, I will be starting the aviation program at Louisiana Tech majoring in professional aviation. I already have my private license so will be jumping in on the instrument rating, so am already ahead a bit. I'm just wondering if anyone else out here went to LA Tech and how your experience was? How are the flight instructors? And, how was the job search after graduation? Thanks so much any input from a Bulldog would be appreciated!
Get an engineering degree (or a business degree, or a pre-med degree, or a .... degree) and pursue your ratings on your own - your job search after graduation will thank you for it.
When I originally visited the college I was planning on majoring in engineering, but the aviation head worked his magic and switched me to aviation. My heart is in aviation, but not a fan of the whole industry.
get a degree in something else-- i went to NSU and i wish i wouldve gotten a degree in soemthing else-.

you better hope they dont pass that 1500hrs rule to be a fo at a regional
Quote: My heart is in aviation, but not a fan of the whole industry.
Sounds like a case of Shiny Jet Syndrome

The fact is that there are not many [current or forecast] jobs to be had for pilots, although there are a LOT of fully qualified furloughed pilots. There is also proposed legislation going through the house that would require an ATP to serve as SIC in 121 operations. That legislation has a really good chance of becoming law, and comes with a three year implementation period. Unfortunately, the new law would be fully implimented by the time you graduated from Tech.

After four years of college, it's very likely that you won't have a marketable degree. There are many threads on this board that discuss the pro/con of an airways science degree. The advice that your getting to choose a different degree path comes from guys with lots of experience and insight - good luck.
Thanks guys, I'm glad there are people on these forums that say it like it is, when the flight school recruiter will tell you what you want to hear.
Techaviator13, I'm a Tech Grad.

You probably can't send Private Messages yet, but when you can, send one over to me, and I'll answer any question you need. I think you need 25 posts.

My tech email is gcc005 if you know what to do with that.