My visit to the 161st ARW; KPHX

Subscribe
One of my classes in my last semester here at ASU is an aircraft power plants class and for a 'field trip' the AZANG graciously accepted our class request to tour their flight line and poke around the KC-135's. They opened the engines up for us and let us see the inside of the jet from fore to aft. Here are a few shots from the evening. This was yesterday, Nov 4.

Unfortunately, because there was a large group of us I wasn't able to capture all the shots I would have liked to, but it was still a lot of fun.

-----------

This and another jet were being readied to launch. The flight crew was just about to step outside.

Here we are walking out to see 'our' plane for the evening.

KC-135R

Home of the Copperheads

We were next door to the FX ramp. (So mad that I cut the tire off!)

View from the cargo door as the plane next to us fires up and prepares to depart on another sortie.

My personal favorite. To me it almost has a cinematic feel to it.

Down the hatch. A classmate standing in the cargo door.

Getting a bath on the wash rack.

--------------------
That's it!

You can view many more from the evening if you wish here: 161st ARW KPHX album | Ben | Fotki.com

As a side note, I asked the Sergeant who acted as our guide about job availabilities at the 161st, and he said that there are both enlisted and officer positions available, including pilot slots (!). Time for me to make some phone calls and see if there is any truth to this!
Very cool pics. I'm in agreement with you on your favorite picture. The rest are very nice as well
The 135 is the best jet I've worked on, love em. The engines are reliable and built for ease of maintenance. I have an F-108 fan blade on my desk at work. The QSAS (Quick Start APU System) is what I spent more time fixing and even that wasn't that bad to work on. We could have an APU replaced and ready to run in about 2 hours. Awesome plane.
i like the fo in the fedex jet looking at you take the pic lol, would be great if he was on this forum
4831 delivered to the Air Force in October 1964.
Awesome shots. Despite the nose wheel being out of frame, the FedEx shot is pretty cool.