What's wrong with this statement?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Saw this on starbulletin.com today...

"Hawaiian Airlines will sport a different look on some of its Boeing 767-300 jets -- blended winglets. Attached to the end of each wing, the 11-foot extensions will smooth out airflow, reduce aerodynamic drag and cut thrust. The winglets also will allow the carrier's 767s to improve fuel efficiency."
Quote: Saw this on starbulletin.com today...

"Hawaiian Airlines will sport a different look on some of its Boeing 767-300 jets -- blended winglets. Attached to the end of each wing, the 11-foot extensions will smooth out airflow, reduce aerodynamic drag and cut thrust. The winglets also will allow the carrier's 767s to improve fuel efficiency."
Ok I,ll take a shot at this, smoothing out airflow and reducing drag are one in the same?

Ally
Quote: "...and cut thrust."
*snort* Well, there's your problem.

How about "reduce thrust required"? So as not to incite a deluge of infuriated passengers ranting about how the airline took away all their thrust?
Cut thrust? That doesn't seem like the best idea,
Quote: Saw this on starbulletin.com today...

"Hawaiian Airlines will sport a different look on some of its Boeing 767-300 jets -- blended winglets. Attached to the end of each wing, the 11-foot extensions will smooth out airflow, reduce aerodynamic drag and cut thrust required. The winglets also will allow the carrier's 767s to improve fuel efficiency."
there fixed the error by an uneducated journalist
Boeing does not really make 767s?

Wait, winglets are not actually attached to the airplane.

I got it, the winglets are going to thrust themselves all the way to Hawaii? In an unrelated article, the winglets will both eventually fall asleep and over-fly the airport by 200 miles.
Quote: Boeing does not really make 767s?

Wait, winglets are not actually attached to the airplane.

I got it, the winglets are going to thrust themselves all the way to Hawaii? In an unrelated article, the winglets will both eventually fall asleep and over-fly the airport by 200 miles.
ROFL thanks you made my night !

Ally
Quote: The winglets also will allow the carrier's 767s to improve fuel efficiency."
The only real way to improve fuel efficiency on the 767 is to remove two of the engines.
Quote: *snort* Well, there's your problem.
You remind me of a mechanic I know (Auto not A&P), love that comment.
A recent FLYING magazine article would say that people get **blended wingtips** confused with **winglets**. So my question would be - which is it that the Hawiian 767s will really have - - winglets or blended wingtips?

http://www.flyingmag.com/technicalit...-winglets.html

USMCFLYR
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to