Ugh okay hate to sound like a noob..

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
But what exactly is jumpseating? Is it a way to get free flights, with your or reciprocal airlines, in order to commute or get to duty? Or is it something that can be used to travel for any reason? Or am I way off?
Quote: But what exactly is jumpseating? Is it a way to get free flights, with your or reciprocal airlines, in order to commute or get to duty? Or is it something that can be used to travel for any reason? Or am I way off?
Ask your chief pilot or jumpseat coordinator about specifics at your airline.
/shrug i'm not even a pilot though

Said I don't like to sound one. Doesn't mean I am not one :P
Its not a way to get free flights, cuz as a pilot, you already get free flights. Jumpseating is a last resort. If the flight is completely full, it is not the end of the world for flight crewmembers. If the jumpseat is available, and no pilot with more seniority than you is also gunning for the jumpseat, its yours. It can be used for any reason - I used it a few times to see my parents in FL when the flight was full. I've also used it to get to work. A lot of the regional airlines are part of the CASS system which means you have unlimited jumpseats with just about ANY major carrier. Hope this cleared things up a little!
I call it hitchhiking because that is is about what it is, like yoyo said, if the flight is full you still have the possibility to go.
Back in the day, before 911, you could ride in the jumpseat, which is an extra seat in the cockpit.Now it is an FA seat, if available.
Quote: Its not a way to get free flights, cuz as a pilot, you already get free flights. Jumpseating is a last resort. If the flight is completely full, it is not the end of the world for flight crewmembers. If the jumpseat is available, and no pilot with more seniority than you is also gunning for the jumpseat, its yours. It can be used for any reason - I used it a few times to see my parents in FL when the flight was full. I've also used it to get to work. A lot of the regional airlines are part of the CASS system which means you have unlimited jumpseats with just about ANY major carrier. Hope this cleared things up a little!
Thanks! And as a pilot you get free flights with any airline at all? Or do airlines have certain agreements?
I'd rather sit on the captain's lap myself. Oops, wrong thread. Better go back to where I belong.
Quote: I'd rather sit on the captain's lap myself. Oops, wrong thread. Better go back to where I belong.
Hope you're a really hot chick sayin something like that........ Otherwise I dont think thats gonna work all that well......
Quote: Back in the day, before 911, you could ride in the jumpseat, which is an extra seat in the cockpit.Now it is an FA seat, if available.
Interesting viewpoint. Well, I ride the jumpseat from time to time and I am not an FA, and I can ride in a multitude of carriers jumpseats, as long as they are CASS equipped. I'm not sure what you mean by saying the jumpseat is an "FA seat" ?
Quote: Interesting viewpoint. Well, I ride the jumpseat from time to time and I am not an FA, and I can ride in a multitude of carriers jumpseats, as long as they are CASS equipped. I'm not sure what you mean by saying the jumpseat is an "FA seat" ?
I was confused too, Ive had to ride in the cockpit a couple times and let me tell you, 4 hours feels like 8 on that cockpit jumpseat. At least cockpit crews always bring good magazines er company manuals Got to divert once though and that was cool to watch a crew work in a situation like that from the standpoint of an observer.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to