Regional Regional Airlines

Colgan Hiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Got a weekend off once...

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: On "Some Beach"
Default I interested but...

I'm going to bail on engineering to start flying. I'm considering either Express Jet or Colgan (mostly because these are the ony two regionals with a domicile out of houston). I'd prefer colgan for the routes and the short time to left seat. Can anyone answer the questions that I have about Colgan:

1. Do they have any deals with other airlines so that I can commute from Houston to the northeast bases incase I need to commute for a while?
2. What does a typical new guy line schedule look like, and can I fly all my hours together (like 4 on 4 off without 4 years senority)?
3. If I get the 1900 out of the interview, how long would it take to upgrade to the 340 and/or move to Houston (I think they only have the 340 there).
4. What are the medical benefits like (EPO, PPO, etc.. deductibles, 90 or 100% coverage, family member coverage, max out of pocket)?

I've got the email address for someone in HR, but I don't want to bother them unless I have to.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by texaspropguy
I'm going to bail on engineering to start flying. I'm considering either Express Jet or Colgan (mostly because these are the ony two regionals with a domicile out of houston). I'd prefer colgan for the routes and the short time to left seat. Can anyone answer the questions that I have about Colgan:

1. Do they have any deals with other airlines so that I can commute from Houston to the northeast bases incase I need to commute for a while?
2. What does a typical new guy line schedule look like, and can I fly all my hours together (like 4 on 4 off without 4 years senority)?
3. If I get the 1900 out of the interview, how long would it take to upgrade to the 340 and/or move to Houston (I think they only have the 340 there).
4. What are the medical benefits like (EPO, PPO, etc.. deductibles, 90 or 100% coverage, family member coverage, max out of pocket)?

I've got the email address for someone in HR, but I don't want to bother them unless I have to.
Houston is senior. It's about the only base where there are true reserve lines (about 3 lines plus another 5 or so standup lines). As a result, to build time quickly most FO's bid a NE base where they hold a line out of training (or within a month) and wait until their seniority builds to the point they can hold a decent line in IAH if they want to go there (about six or seven from the bottom out of 37 FO's). You can get it out of training, usually one does each class, but you will sit reserve for a few months and then fly stand-ups for a few more.

1. Yes
2. In the NE 4 on 3 off, with occasionally 3 on 4 off or 5 on 2 off. You'll fly either a morning shift ending midday or early afternoon, or an afternoon to evening shift. Usually 4 or 6 legs a day, occasionally 8, and in base each night. Seniority doesn't affect this too much. At IAH lines are a mixture of day trips (4 lines this month), day trips and stand-ups (4 lines), overnights (2, 3, and 4 day trips), and pure stand-ups (4 lines). Typically the highest paying and/or most easily commuted lines go senior. Some of the stand-up lines do go senior because they don't have to keep a crash pad in IAH.
3. If you get the 1900 and you have say 1000 hours coming in, you will probably upgrade to 1900 captain in 8 - 12 months. You'll then spend 12 months as a 1900 captain before you can transition to the Saab. No 1900's in IAH.
4. Standard Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO. We contribute. Three levels of plan. Your costs will vary depending on which plan you choose and which ala cart options you take. Pretty standard stuff.

Last edited by WEACLRS; 07-04-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: AA A320

Do 1900 captains transition directly to Saab captain, or do they start in the Saab as a FO?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha
Do 1900 captains transition directly to Saab captain, or do they start in the Saab as a FO?
To date directly to the left seat of the Saab. Here's the progression currently:

1900 FO (8 - 12 months) - 1900 Captain (1 yr) - Saab Captain OR

Saab FO (15 - 18 months) - Saab Captain

Of course upgrade times are subject to change. They are currently the longest they have been for the Saab and about the same for the 1900. They also assume you'll meet the insurance requirements for upgrade when your seniority number comes up. Guys with less than 1000 hours when hired can expect to sit as FO in either aircraft a few months longer. By starting in the 1900 you lose about 4 - 6 months to "1000 hours PIC in an aircraft over 20000 lbs", but you gain two type ratings and the Beech is a wonderful aircraft to fly (the Saab is great too, but more of a "tank" compared to the Beech).

Last edited by WEACLRS; 07-04-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 717 FO

2 guys from my class got IAH right out of training and have been sitting reserve since February. Plan on not getting back to Houston for 6-8 months if you join Colgan.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: AA A320

Anyone invited to the 6 July interview session?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Heard that there are currently F/O's TDY in IAH. If this is true, you should be able to get IAH out of training.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Have spoken to several guys who had ATP mins when they applied last year and got no call while we saw peeps with 600-1000 getting on board left right and centre. Nothing against those guys with lower time, but why do you now want people with higher time when many of us were ignored even after some of us had capt's walk in resume's?
What gives Colgan!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by JUG47
Have spoken to several guys who had ATP mins when they applied last year and got no call while we saw peeps with 600-1000 getting on board left right and centre. Nothing against those guys with lower time, but why do you now want people with higher time when many of us were ignored even after some of us had capt's walk in resume's?
What gives Colgan!!!

Generally speaking, regionals/commuters like people who don't have a huge amount of time because they want to get their training dollars worth out of them. High timers are likely to come in, get what they want quickly and leave.

However when attrition or expansion creates a potential need for lots of captains, these companies start to look for people who will be eligible for a fast upgrade...usually 2000+ with 121 and/or turbine time.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JUG47
What gives Colgan!!!
Rick's right. Also...it's a year later. Things have changed. Last year we could get all the 1200 - 1500 hour candidates we wanted. And you do want a mix of high and low time guys to stretch training dollars. However, now, we're scrapping the bottom of the barrel. With AE and XJT hiring every 500 hr guy in sight, very few candidates are left...we're putting people in the right seat we would have never considered a year ago.

Higher time is not necessarily better. At any level. Too much time can be just as bad as not enough. And it's more than just times. Attitude, life experience, background, demeanor, presentation, recommendations all mean just as much, if not more. SWA is a case in point. Their mean hire has just 1800 hours turbine PIC.

Last edited by WEACLRS; 07-27-2006 at 02:35 PM.