Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

Colgan Hiring

Old 07-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by CFI2766
Hey how are Colgan's flight pass benefit's compared to other regionals like ASA,and XJT (buddy passes and family member pass privileges)? thanks
Well depending on which AC you get and which airline you are paired with will determine your pass privilages. If you are selected for the Beech you will fly US Airways and receive their term pass privilages. The SAAB could be US Airways/Continental/United. ut

Colgan Air is not yet a member of CASS (Officially) It is being said they are going to. But until a pilot's name is in the computer. Don't believe it. I know they have been trying for months.

I will make one recommendation if you are not living at the base and are planning on commuting. Be ware of this company. They do not like to help pilots with commuting problems in an industry that has cutback to obtain 85-94% load factors. You could easily lose your job for being late 30 minutes. SEEN IT.

Not to bash on them at all but it is something you should look at. You also should be concerned about living somewhere else. Being based somewhere other than home and being at your base every night (NO OVERNIGHTS AND NO PER DIEM) it is tough to do a 10 person crash pad per se.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Ladie's and Gentlemen, in the interest of your saftey I must have your complete attention! Ready

"
we're scrapping the bottom of the barrel
Bad choice of words if you actually care about the place and think that the candidates you are hiring can do the job.
Actually it's less than a year ago WEACLRS. Is it company policy to hire somebody half as useful who will put up with almost anything? This is not related to hours but experience. There are peeps out there with 1000 hrs with good quality time, not just instructing at ATP for 200 hours. I had ATP time when I applied and got nothin'.
Kilo Alpha, you sound like the perfect candidate, sitting back in front of your keyboard a year ago and telling us all how stupid we were for working for such pathetic wages while you flew so little and earnt so much!!! Good on you. Thank the sweet jumpin' Jesus I did not end up there.
WEACLRS, yes, I understand your reply, doe's not make me agree though and there is not much you can learn from us unless we actually get interviewed. Very snobby Colgan.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by JUG47
...There are peeps out there with 1000 hrs with good quality time, not just instructing at ATP for 200 hours...
Hi Jug47 - welcome to the forum. I'm not quite sure I understand your reply. If you are saying there are a ton of 1000 hour guys out there, respectively, you're wrong. We are not seeing them, nor are the other regionals. The majority of FO hiring at regionals is now in the sub 800 hour area.

If you're saying there are a ton of 1000 hour guys out there, but they aren't willing to work for $21/hour flying six legs a day four days straight, you might be right. And (here's reality) when regionals, including Colgan, get done hiring all the 250 - 500 hour pilots out there who will, maybe, just maybe they'll raise first year salaries and hire all the 1000 hour guys who are holding out.

When I said we are "scraping the bottom of the barrel" what I meant was it's not that the pilots aren't qualified - they won't be on the line unless they can pass training and their 121.441 ride - it's just the hiring times have dropped from 1000 hours down into the 500 and 600 hour range. For us that's a problem. We are currently upgrading pilots to captain that were hired as late as March of 2005. If your seniority number comes up after 16 months and you were hired with only 500 hours, you won't meet insurance mins for upgrade. Hence we are short captains. With our still relatively short upgrade times we must have some 1000 hours guys in the hiring mix.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: FO dhc-6

thats funny they wouldnt give me the time a day a few months ago when i went to the open house with 600+ hours
Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Howdy WEACLRS,
The guys out there with 1000 or a little more are willing to work for Colgan wages as they most are making less than a Colgan wage as a CFI unless they are lucky enough to be doing a corporate gig. I was willing. The fact is that you guys were not calling alot of these candidates which maybe why they are not applying in the numbers they used too. I wanted to come to Colgan for the upgrade and also the pilot group which is a pretty good one.
I am puzzled why I was not called if I had the time to make me eligable for a reasonbly quick upgrade. Now thats history, was just courious as to how Chuck picks and chooses.
Thanks for the reply.
JUG
Old 07-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by JUG47
...Now thats history, was just courious as to how Chuck picks and chooses. Thanks for the reply...
Congrats on the job! I wish I had the magic answer so that everyone could understand why or why not they are or are not being selected. Total times aren't everything. In fact, once in the interview, we never rank candidates by their time. We decide based on how they come across (attitude), do they show good knowledge, do we think they will be good people to work with (do we want to spend 12 hours a day in a hot cramped flight deck with them?), can we see them as captains (can they lead? are they honest?), and do we think they will make it through training (are they current and knowledgeable?).

From an app standpoint the apps that have a tendency to be passed over are ones from pilots who aren't currently flying. They may be working elsewhere, have few hours or very little multi in the past six to twelve months, are not active aviators, or appear to be bouncing from pilot job to pilot job without advancement. More than that, I couldn't tell you.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 717 FO

I really don't see a 14-18 month upgrade for anyone hired into the Saab right now. Counting on 4 upgrades per month and 40 FO's leaving for other regionals I would say upgrade will run 24-30 months. Just a guess...
Old 07-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Line Holder

Position: TRYING TO STAY AWAKE
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bender
I really don't see a 14-18 month upgrade for anyone hired into the Saab right now. Counting on 4 upgrades per month and 40 FO's leaving for other regionals I would say upgrade will run 24-30 months. Just a guess...
100% agree with you, I dont know were Weaclrs get's his info from but there are plenty of guys with enough time and seniority to hold captain. Their just not needed. After reading all your post weaclrs and how you state what WE look for in an interview, I believe your just spreading colgan propaganda.......Actually you sound a lot like BRINK! But I really dont care anymore, I'm so use to getting bent over left and right by this company that I'm starting to like it. I do like it here, but dont try to come off as Mr. Rogers because nobody who is really flying the line here at colgan is that FUking happy! Sweating my balls off waiting for a push in LGA, and arguing with Screw scheduling about rest requirements. Almost all the colgan pilots i fly with are cool and great guys, we dont ***** 24/7 but almost everyone *****'s a little and the coolaid your selling on APC is getting stale! Bottom line Colgan is not worth coming to at this point because the pay sucks for second year and the upgrades are not 1yr anymore! That is why we can't hire people.

Last edited by cloudkicker1981; 07-31-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

How easy is it to get based in BUF out of training?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 717 FO

At least one new-hire got BUF out of training. I think the base will be tied up for at least the next 6 months since many crewmembers from JHW want to transfer to BUF.