Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Guppy Capt.

"I can pull it where it says it both for Part 135 and Part 121."

Can you specify?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

A comment on duty/flight time violations...

A 121 operator may be in the position of becoming aware of FAR violations conducted by it's own organization. The FAA does not want the operator to cover these up so there exists a "Self Disclosure" policy...basically if an airline self discloses occasional violations to the FAA, the FAA will not assess the usual $10K+ fine. Obviously this is not carte-blanche to committ numerous, repetitive violations but it does allow the comapny to get off the hook financially if they catch something before the feds see it.

As to how this applies to pilots...some companies that don't want or cannot afford a delay or canx will pressure crews to break duty time regs. If possible the company will doctor the records to make this look legal. OK, so let's say the crew goes for it...well now you may have various records (pilot logbooks, airplane logbooks, ACARS, computer) that may not agree. If the company supervisor thinks that the feds may catch it on an audit (and fine the comapny $$$) he will "self-disclose" this blatant violation comitted by the pilots. Of course the pilots can't imagine that the company would WANT to rat them out, so they have not submitted a NASA form and are oblivious until they get the letter of investigation from the feds!

As astounding as this sounds, this happens every week somewhere. Since crew schedulers and their managers are not FAA licensed, there are no repurcussions on them. The best quality regionals probably won't do this, but the sh*tty ones certainly will.

NEVER get pressured into duty time violations. YOUR logbook ALWAYS prevails over the company computer, and if necessary you should be able to support your version by pulling the aircraft hard-copy logs, which should match your own logs. Also you can call the other pilot...his log should match yours. If push comes to shove the company can only falsify the computer, but there will be several other hardcopy records to fall back on.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Saab

blah blah blah blah blah what a bunch of complainers. Colgan rules and everyone knows it. Am I the only one who thrives on the negative feedback. i love when i get called on my day off or work more than 12 hours BRING IT kick me in the jimmy again
Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Line Holder

Position: TRYING TO STAY AWAKE

Originally Posted by George Dubya
blah blah blah blah blah what a bunch of complainers. Colgan rules and everyone knows it. Am I the only one who thrives on the negative feedback. i love when i get called on my day off or work more than 12 hours BRING IT kick me in the jimmy again

go back to your hole george, on flightinfo were you guys like pulling eachothers tools!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I am here to pull your tool I don't want to leave anyone out.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

One more question do you spit or swallow? You know so I am prepared.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Line Holder

Position: TRYING TO STAY AWAKE

Originally Posted by George Dubya
One more question do you spit or swallow? You know so I am prepared.

You know i was just asking your mother the same question last night?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

My mother is dead thanks.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Okay, so he's a necropheliac. Don't judge.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:30 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: FO

Originally Posted by mccube5
yeah the nosewheel steering, or lack there of i should say, seems like it wouldnt really be much of a problem on say a saab 340. on a crj though that seems like a much bigger pain in the @ss. cant wait til the days when i finally learn all the stuff that doesnt need to be working on board these things to fly them.
Why would it be any different on a Saab than an RJ??? let me guess its something to do with the props!?!? Do you even know how the system works?