Anyone left flying for FAA/another career?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Yeah I'm looking to exit after 2 years in right seat, the QL is not worth it. I am attempting ATC or a teaching position for high school students that just opened (aviation technical instructor). From there I'll get a masters and hope to teach college.
In my circle, we call that AIDS - Aviation-Induced Divorce Syndrome. Aviation really stresses out relationships with wives and kids. At first, it hurts when you and your kids cry when you leave, but it hurts more a few years later when they don't cry any more... you wish it would go back to hurting again so you felt like they cared that you missed the school play... sometimes I wish I had never traveled down the aviation road that an adventurous 18 year-old set me on... he didn't know what it would be like to get older and how much he would love his family...
OK, are you working General Aviation or Airline side ? I understand that the G.A. side is very busy and hectic (?) I have also considered this option but not til the end of my flying career, which I could take at age 55. I am still looking at it and glad that there is a forum here to discuss this ! For the younger guys, I hope that they find what they need, it is tough having a Family and being the Pilot and this sick economy has not helped matters much for sure.
The ATC gig sounds like a good possibility but let me tell you from my own experience as a former ATC. I always enjoyed the job but it had many dynamics to it. I was Terminal option controller, what I consider the best option because you could work in the Tower Cab or TRACON, and it was a great way to split your day. I did not like the heavy handed management style of the FAA back then, not sure if it has changed. If you are going work as ATC and not get involved in management, then you are done at mandatory retirement age of 56, otherwise if you get yourself into managment position, then you can stay longer. I had a good friend that retired recently from working CENTER option (ARTCC). He had a great career there and ended up in management and it served him well and those around him. Don't get into this kind of job if you are not "thick skinned" because you will take a beating otherwise !!! ATC folks are great to work with, very type "A" and always in charge types. Either way, check it out !!! GOOD LUCK !!!
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to