ATP rating without - Single Engine

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hi,

I currently have an ATP with just B737 endorsement on it. I would like to get the single engine piston rating back on it so I can fly GA again.

Would anyone have any idea of the most cost effective way to get it.

Thanks,

Frogone
I am assuming that you at one time had a private or commercial SEL rating. If so, your ATP certificate would normally have on the back a statement such as:

Airline Transport Pilot
Airplane Multiengine Land
B-737

Commercial Privileges
Airplane single engine land

If so, you are good to go. If for some reason you actually want a SEL ATP, you have to take another ATP checkride.

If for some reason the Feds forgot to include your SEL privileges on your new certificate, you will probably have to go to a GADO to get it corrected. You can probably do it by mail, but in person is probably easier.

Joe
I'm afraid not Joe! I have a UK ATPL and I did an accelerated B737NG rating to get my FAA ATP so I don't have the single engine class rating.

But I do have it on my UK license, however it has expired, so instead of renewing it on the UK ticket and getting it transfered across I was just gonna go direct the FAA route.

Frogone
Do you have a stand alone FAA ATP MEL? I believe then all you need to do is pass the checkride for an ATL SEL. See 61.165(e). You met the eligibility requirements the first time for the MEL, ditto the flight time as nothing is class specific, it's not a type ride and there's no written.
Gotta take a checkride
You are going to have to take a checkride. You don't need an endorsement or a written exam. The checkride will be an ATP checkride. If you want to get a private or commercial, you will have to have an endorsement from a CFI and pass the appropriate written, as well as pass the appropriate checkride. Getting the ATP single engine, in your case, will actually be easier. You can take it in any single engine aircraft that is instrument equipped and certified. Make sure you practice everything in the PTS. You will do slow flight, stalls, steep turns, unusual attitude recovery, 3 or 4 instrument approaches (at least one coupled, if the aircraft is so equipped), holding procedures, circling approaches and landings. If you are near Atlanta, I can help you. If not, make sure you find an instructor with a lot of instrument time.
Twin wasp - I just have Multi Engine Land and B737 on my FAA ATP. It is standalone and not based on the validity of my UK license.

AtlCSIP - Thanks for your reply, that's a long the lines of what I've heard. I'm afraid I'm on the other side of the pond, I'm planning on heading over at some stage.

Cheers.

Frogone
If you get this way, pm me.
I agree with Twin Wasp: get the ATP SEL. It's easy money.
Thanks for the above replies.

I've renewed my SEP on my UK license before and it took about 3-4 days. I haven't flown state side in 2 years and light aircraft for that time too. Would any CFIs have a ballpark guide to how long / flying hours it would take one of average ability to get back up to speed for an FAA check?

Thanks.

Frogone
I am looking at taking the ATP written before August. My current employment does not require an ATP but I want to prepare for the future. I will be overseas most likely for the next few years and want to take the ATP checkride before I leave. I am debating taking the checkride in a single vs. multi though. I have not flown a multi in 7 years and bet I am pretty rusty. If I take the ATP checkride in a single engine aircraft and my written laspses, do I have to take the written over again for the Multi ATP or is it just an add on like a private or commercial multi would be?

I have called the FAA head office and local FSDO and am waiting to hear back.

Quote: You are going to have to take a checkride. You don't need an endorsement or a written exam. The checkride will be an ATP checkride. If you want to get a private or commercial, you will have to have an endorsement from a CFI and pass the appropriate written, as well as pass the appropriate checkride. Getting the ATP single engine, in your case, will actually be easier. You can take it in any single engine aircraft that is instrument equipped and certified. Make sure you practice everything in the PTS. You will do slow flight, stalls, steep turns, unusual attitude recovery, 3 or 4 instrument approaches (at least one coupled, if the aircraft is so equipped), holding procedures, circling approaches and landings. If you are near Atlanta, I can help you. If not, make sure you find an instructor with a lot of instrument time.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to