Ever have friends as passengers?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hi,

I have a question for airline pilots. How often throughout your career have you had friends/old friends/ old co-workers fly on your flights? For example, you make the announcement saying the name of first officer and captain and an old friend recongnizes the name or they see you when walking off the plane? I just imagine that with all the flights this is bound to happen a couple of times. Thanks!

I am amazed that I have only run across ONE former squadronmate in an airport. He was coming out of a crew door (not off the plane) when I was getting ready to board another flight in Phoenix. We spoke for about 5 minutes and then I had to run. I'm always expecting to run across someone and try to listen to the names if mentioned or take a peek in the cockpit if I can to see any familiar faces.

USMCFLYR
Not a pilot, but recognized a guy that I use to work with in the cafeteria (for Epicure) at ERAU back in 1985 on a JetBlue flight while on my way to an interview for a position at Denver International. Come to find out he flew for JetBlue and was on his way home.

atp
A CA I know once got a message from a dispatcher asking if they went to the same HS (they did).
I landed in KPBI on nite and noticed my wife was on the citation I was flying.
I routinely fly with former co-workers. It helps when you work at a place that employs several people I either went to school with or instructed with.
I had it once. I grew up in a small town, 3000-ish people, and flew a flight from South Bend to Cleveland, and there was a girl I grew up with on it. I'd love for a statistics geek to figure out the chances of that. The variables get crazy. Excluding the chances of me getting the job with the particular company and the chances of her selecting Notre Dame for law school, you have the number of pilots in base/position/aircraft, the numbers of lines for that month, my bid choices, the number of flights in/out of SBN, the number of airlines in/out of SBN, and the date/time selected to fly out SBN.
I tend run into people while commuting...old classmates, military folks, people I know around town. I don't know that I've ever flown any friends/family on an airliner (except my wife once on a long new-years eve overnight).
Quote: I landed in KPBI on nite and noticed my wife was on the citation I was flying.
ce650:

I've read a few of your posts on some of the Fractional threads/topics and can't think of a better opportunity to do some networking. Next time you're in the Palm Beaches, PM me, and, if we both have the time, lunch or dinner is on me!

atp
Quote: I had it once. I grew up in a small town, 3000-ish people, and flew a flight from South Bend to Cleveland, and there was a girl I grew up with on it. I'd love for a statistics geek to figure out the chances of that. The variables get crazy. Excluding the chances of me getting the job with the particular company and the chances of her selecting Notre Dame for law school, you have the number of pilots in base/position/aircraft, the numbers of lines for that month, my bid choices, the number of flights in/out of SBN, the number of airlines in/out of SBN, and the date/time selected to fly out SBN.
a gazillion:1

atp
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to