Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

Evergreen

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Right Seat switch monkey

Contractually there are 16 day lines offered to bid on. You owe the company 16 days to get you guaranteed pay of 65hrs@ your yearly pay rate. these lines are all either hard lines with issued flying or they are reserve lines. You bid on them by seniority. seniority is determined by your date of hire and date of birth in your class(oldest senior to younger)
The company gets the hotel for us when on layovers and rsrv. nothing fancy but ok hotels, just what a freight dog would like. contractually ez can extend u two days making that 18 days away. if u are extended u get a ticket to or from your home(where you live)

Work days very greatly, this is adhoc flying sort of like being on call. some months u may fly ur arse of some months u may sit in a hotel with lots of time to kill. it just depends on how much flying we have and how the company is utalizing the crews. if u want to make more money u can volunteer for extra time flying that is staying out longer than 16days. skies the limit if ya want to live on the road and the ez has flying to be done they will keep ya out as long as ya like.
we have one of the better schedules in our contract out of the acmi's but one of if not the worst pay. Also we have business class travel per contract, that is a big bonus, because we do lots of airline travel to and from trips. if u have ever traveled in the cattle car section of an airliner for 15hrs you know what i mean. So 2 out of 3 ain't bad.....

I personally love the work and schedule. but its not for everyone and within a few months of new hire classes thers lots of *****ing about the job and then usually lots of turn over. fun for some but not for everyone. if u cant hold a good line u may be gone for 36 days maybe in a tent in Afghanistan. very rare but if you dont think that sounds like fun probly not for u.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: dinosaur wrangler

Originally Posted by CALTanker View Post
What is YOUR typical (I realize there may be nothing typical), but a typical schedule like? I've heard anything from 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off with occasionally as long as 18 out. How often are you out longer than 2 weeks?
Speaking for the Classic fleet only (what you'll be hired into if you get on here now):

Schedule is 16 on, 14 off. You can bid the 16 on as the 1st 16 days of the bid, the last 16 days of the bid, or the first and last 8 days of the bid. The company has the right to extend you involuntarily 2 additional days, and often does. So, typical schedule for me is 16-18 on, then 12-14 off. Repeat. You will never have to work more than 18 days (unless you bid it or volunteer to do it), and, if extended, the company must transport you home to your home airport (you designate this airport). So, even if you're extended, generally you only work 1 additional day, b/c the last day is spent traveling to your home airport.

You are out longer than 2 weeks (14 days) 100% of the time, essentially, if you're based in JFK, the junior base, and where 90% of the pilots are based. You either bid 16 days on (extendable to 18) or you bid the first and last 8 days of each bid, and then you end up out 16-18 days anyway (the last 8, and then the first 8 of the next bid). If you can't handle 18 days straight, you can't work here - it's that simple.

Typical 16 days of scheduling right now is 1-2 days of reserve, a flight out of the northeast to Germany (either JFK or a limo to WRI or DOV, then cross the Atlantic), a 1-2 sit in Germany, a flight down to Kuwait through Turkey, a 2 day sit in Kuwait, a flight back to Germany, 1-2 days in Germany, a heavy crew from Germany to Afghanistan to China, a 2 day sit in China, a flight from China to Anchorage via Japan, then a commercial home. 18 days, 45 hours of flying, 72 hours of pay (min of 65 hours, then 4 hours per day for each day extended). Though I called this 'typical', this is just an example that gives you an idea of what a junior guy might see based in JFK.

Do you stay in crash pads for reserve or do you have many reserves?
Lots of reserve (most lines are reserve lines), but no crash pad. We have a company paid hotel room (think Red Roof Inn quality, not Ritz Carlton) in JFK if you're on reserve. Essentially, the company owns you for the 16 days (even the line holders get their lines changed up all the time, so, in my mind, it is just like reserve anyway, but some guys swear that being a line holder is a better deal). Hotels when in the continental US are generally Courtyard Marriot or the like when not in JFK. When outside the CONUS, we stay in Hilton, Sheraton, Marriot, or Hyatt type places (we're in the same hotel as Fed Ex, UPS, or passenger carriers in various locals, and in the same places as other freight outfits like Atlas, World, or what have you when flying into military fields not near civilian facilities, such as Hann AB, which we seem to frequent a good amount lately).

Other random stuff - travel is business class or better when leaving the CONUS or any trip of over 6 hours (including layover time). Food on board our aircraft is usually adequate in quantity, but often lacking in quality. With the 3 man flightdeck, you have 12 hours of allowable flight time per duty period - and you will be asked to fly up to 12 hours at times. 1-2 legs per day when flying. Open time is currently plentiful - if you don't value your off time or desire to never see your family or home, Evergreen will be more than happy to accommodate you. Departure times are often just guesses - expect the unexpected. Crews are good, though we have our 5%, and we have a couple scabs. If you have a true family or other emergency, Evergreen will bend over backwards to get you home without regard to cost. Evergreen owns a amazing collection of museum aircraft (including the Spruce Goose), an IMax theater, and is building a water park with a 747 with a slide through it - you can usually get in for free to these things by showing your ID (handy if you live near McMinnville, OR). Small company, everyone knows everyone else (both good and bad, but you won't be 'just a number' here). Evergreen has been in negotiations for a new contract for at least 3 years (current contract came into effect in 2000, I believe), and voted in ALPA 3 years ago. Management wants concessions (the business class travel, hotels for reserves in base, and catering are the items that management seems worked up about) - pilots feel current contract is below industry average and want increases; typical negotiations. Upgrade was slowed by age 65 change, most CA's are lifers, many FO's historically leave Evergreen for what they feel are better options for them - nobody is leaving now, there's nowhere to go. Not much growth expected, contraction risks are military flying reductions or losing the Boeing LCF contract (or MX shearing off the top of another 747 accidentally - they're old, so its likely cheaper to turn aircraft into beer cans then pay the $ to fix them if they need major MX). Evergreen historically furloughs the bottom 10-15% of the work force each December for 4 months or so, right after UPS peak (and now UPS is furloughing). Didn't furlough at all in Dec. 2009, furloughed for up to 9 months in Dec. 2008.

It's not for everyone, but it suits others nicely. I hope this lengthy synopsis helps. We're hiring right now (I think) but you need internals or the chutzpah to walk your own stuff in to get a call (it worked of a guy on this board in the past).
Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Right Seat switch monkey

very nicely put EZ Rider.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Don't think there will be much more hiring. Evergreen lost the "Dreamlifter" contract as of 9-30! Its going to Atlas.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: UPS 767 Gear & Flap Operator
Post Source

Originally Posted by spitfire1500 View Post
Don't think there will be much more hiring. Evergreen lost the "Dreamlifter" contract as of 9-30! Its going to Atlas.
I read this news on another forum, is there any confirmation of this rumor?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Airbus

No one knows for sure who will get the Dreamlifter contract. Who knows maybe Boeing will have there own pilots fly it.

With any fleet reductions comes pilot reductions. I would agree that pilot hiring may stop soon.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Le Bus

Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
No one knows for sure who will get the Dreamlifter contract. Who knows maybe Boeing will have there own pilots fly it.

With any fleet reductions comes pilot reductions. I would agree that pilot hiring may stop soon.
I understand the LCFs will be replaced 1-1 with -400s which will be flying more hours/month thus necessitating continued hiring. FWIW.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by SOTeric View Post
I understand the LCFs will be replaced 1-1 with -400s which will be flying more hours/month thus necessitating continued hiring. FWIW.
Are these the same -400's that were suppose to be on property two years ago?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

SOTeric,

It sounds like you got hired so congrats. I guess taking the "bull by its horn" worked.

I hope that we get the -400's but don't believe it until you hear "Rotate" when you are flying one.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: 777 FO

Any word on if/when Evergreen is going to start running new hire classes again?