Cockpit window open during taxi?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hi,

I was watching a cockpit flight video of a commercial flight waiting to takeoff and I for sure heard wind blowing into the cockpit. I'm not a pilot ( yet) and was just wondering if this practice was common in the airline world? at least on really hot days?

Thanks!
Probably the gasper air vent (Air Conditioner) blowing on the mic.

They can open the smaller side window's also. So it could be possible, but unlikely. Sometimes people just breathe too heavily into the mic's.
Quote:
heard wind blowing into the cockpit.
Blame it on the catering.
The old Boeing windows (707, 727, 737) were fairly easy to open and close but if they jumped track and you didn't know how to get them back it, it could be a problem.

The windows on the 757/767 were also easy to open but after a while management at my old house said, "DON'T OPEN THEM."

The windows on the DC-9/MD-80 were also easy to open and the knob to open them was a real jewel of engineering.

Most likely few open them now because management said no reason they need to be open. Still.. on some days it was really nice to open the #2 and enjoy the breeze.

FWIW, the 707/727/737 windows could be opened and closed in flt without too much problem. No, there was no blast of air coming IN the cockpit.
YouTube - Boeing 737-900 Takeoff Captain Window Open
Quote: The windows on the DC-9/MD-80 were also easy to open and the knob to open them was a real jewel of engineering.

Spent many an hour looking at that and wondering, "Who in the he11 designed this?" I mean, they worked OK but it was such an intricate Rube Goldberg looking mechanism. Takes a bit of faith in aerodynamics to get one's head around the Clear View window concept, too.
Quote: No, there was no blast of air coming IN the cockpit.
All the basting of wind was coming from the pilots.
As far a GA goes, nothing beats the Grumman Cheetah. Could even open the canopy in flight (4 inches and under 113 kts). Taxiing on the ground was even better - canopy slid way back, elbow resting on the side-rail, whiskey sour in one hand, Lucky in the other

Quote: Spent many an hour looking at that and wondering, "Who in the he11 designed this?" I mean, they worked OK but it was such an intricate Rube Goldberg looking mechanism. Takes a bit of faith in aerodynamics to get one's head around the Clear View window concept, too.
From what I understand, that handle and all that monkey-motion came from earlier DCs such as the DC-6 and -7.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to