Toxic Fumes on Airways

Subscribe
Toxic air flights – amFIX - CNN.com Blogs
Quote: Toxic air flights – amFIX - CNN.com Blogs
Anybody have a dollar I can borrow??
Somebody wanted a little time off with pay.

It is interesting, there has been a huge push in maintenance since the merger to isolate the causes of cabin odor. If you have an issue there is a 2 page form to fill out in addition to the log entry. They are making a good effort to get these things fixed.

The Airbus has an issue with the "dirty socks" smell, although I noticed this was a 767. It usually is oil seeping into the pack and contaminating one of the filters. The 767s that US Airways has are pretty old so that may be a factor. I believe the BAE 146 had a problem with pack contamination as well and there was a big push overseas to link that to crew respiratory problems.
Quote: Somebody wanted a little time off with pay.

It is interesting, there has been a huge push in maintenance since the merger to isolate the causes of cabin odor. If you have an issue there is a 2 page form to fill out in addition to the log entry. They are making a good effort to get these things fixed.
A similar problem occurred on the 737s and was found to be the 'socks' in the water separator. It required either an engine wash or replacing the socks or in some cases, both.

The 757s were a different issue. When Eastern folded they flew their 757s to the desert to mothball but one big problem.. no one emptied the lavs and no one emptied the galleys. So they sat for a long time in the hot sun just cooking all those wonderful elements.
I remember Allegheny Airlines (the regional not the major) had an incident back in the late 90's where a pin hole in a hydraulic line allowed Skydrol to mist into the cabin ducts (DHC-8). It happened right after take-off and the crew donned their masks and immediately returned to the field. Everyone on board got pretty sick even though the flight was only a few minutes long.