off airport landings

Subscribe
what would the FAA most likely do to someone who runs out of fuel and has an off-airport landing where no one was hurt and no aircraft damage done either? AND this pilot has a clean record...
As long as there was no significant damage, they should just label it as an incident. I had a date with a ditch and a perfectly good 172RG years ago, labeled an incident, and still got hired.
Faa?
Why would the FAA even need to be involved? Did you land in a soccer field or something?

SKyHigh
There's something about fuel reserves when running out of fuel if I seem to remember correctly...
Quote: what would the FAA most likely do to someone who runs out of fuel and has an off-airport landing where no one was hurt and no aircraft damage done either? AND this pilot has a clean record...
It depends on the reason that the plane ran out of fuel. If it was because of improper fuel planning, they could cite the pilot for breaking FAR 91.103 and/or 91.151. However, if it was something else, say, unforecast weather that forced the pilot to get lost, and then they ran out of fuel, they probably wouldn't do anything. Don't quote me on this, as I havn't taken an aviation law class yet, but I think that in cases like this the NTSB and FAA look at why the plane ran out of fuel, and whether it was the pilots fault.
I'm just curious, read about a guy landing on a dirt road. makes me wonder what the FAA would do to you..actually I remember it happening a couple of times not too long ago...
Sacre Bleu!
Quote: Why would the FAA even need to be involved? Did you land in a soccer field or something?
SKyHigh

The penalty for landing in a soccer field is a head-butt.
Quote: The penalty for landing in a soccer field is a head-butt.

Hehe... good one, Tom!!
Pilot to the FAA: I have no clue why I didn't make it the my destination... when I left, I had plenty of fuel... Perhaps the fuel cap wasn't seated properly and siphoned everything overboard...