Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Air Wisconsin
What's going on at Air Wisconsin? >

What's going on at Air Wisconsin?

Search
Notices
Air Wisconsin Regional Airline

What's going on at Air Wisconsin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB 170/175 F.O.
Default What's going on at Air Wisconsin?

The time will be coming in a few more months when I'll be looking to move again. I've always liked what I've heard about Air Wisconsin because they have bases where I'm looking to go. They are the only 121 regional I'd consider at this point. That said, when I'm trying to find out the latest about them, they're the only ones nobody is talking about. How's their interviewing/hiring outlook for now?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: EMB145 Captain

I think AIRWISCONSIN is a great company. Their administration is great. If is not because of commuting I probably be there...
Old 07-23-2006, 05:57 PM
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by iflyjets4food
The time will be coming in a few more months when I'll be looking to move again. I've always liked what I've heard about Air Wisconsin because they have bases where I'm looking to go. They are the only 121 regional I'd consider at this point. That said, when I'm trying to find out the latest about them, they're the only ones nobody is talking about. How's their interviewing/hiring outlook for now?
Lots going on at Wiskey...

Bases PHL/DCA/ORF. PHL is junior for FOs, ORF junior for CAs, DCA senior for both seats but can hold FO Reserve in probably 4-6 months. Most newhires going PHL RSV initially, some can bid where they want before done with IOE.

First year pay is 23.81/hr, 75 hour guarantee from day one on property, with single occupancy hotel during training. Medical/Dental starts if not immediately, in 30 days. Perdiem is $1.40, don't get it until you start IOE. 4 weeks of ground school in ATW, then 3 weeks of FBS/sim training is either in DEN or CLT.

The pilot group is very senior on the top end and very junior on the bottom (on property less than 16 months), including me. Most CAs have been on property about 4-5 years; the junior CA has been on property just under 3 years. Alot of people are jaded because of the commuting across the country after being hosed by UAL and company shenanigans but are still very cool to fly with.

If we win the greviance to get the 2001 contract back, AWAC will have by far the industry leading contract...and even right now we're at or near the top in all categories.

Talk of possible growth flying with Midwest out of MKE and MCI, which would only make since with the company based 2 hours north of Milwalkee up US41.

Bottom line - its a good place to work and has a great contract "for a regional". I've been here just over 6 months and sat reserve for only one month, and I really like it here.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

I agree with BU except for the point about 'lots going on'.

Not much is happening, it will be a 70 aircraft fleet for a while. Don't think of upgrading for a few years, the company is extremely conservative in its expansion.

The airline has actually shrunk from last year, down about 20 airplanes (the 146's).

Personally I would consider Republic/Chautauqua over awac, I had tried to get in there but never could get them to call me. I ended up at awac, and it is a good place to be, but no upgrades for a looooooong time.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:19 AM
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

I guess I'm somewhat optimistic. I think there *is* alot going on behind the scenes in Apple Basket that we minions don't know about, especially after Jim Rankin coming on property. I suppose time will tell...
Old 07-24-2006, 03:46 AM
Just Plane Stupid

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Captain

I would not want to be the highest paid "Paper Boy" on the block these days...Seems there are so many other "Paper Boys" on the block ready and willing to do it for less..."Paper Boy" = "Regional Airline" ...Until all the Regionals and Unions start to beat as one...Then no pilot job will be safe.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by HeavyDriver
I would not want to be the highest paid "Paper Boy" on the block these days...Seems there are so many other "Paper Boys" on the block ready and willing to do it for less..."Paper Boy" = "Regional Airline" ...Until all the Regionals and Unions start to beat as one...Then no pilot job will be safe.
Amen brother. What we need is a national paperboy contract and seniority list. All you get when the paperboys fight amongst themselves is a bunch of ripped papers and scattered quarters...
Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB 170/175 F.O.

Originally Posted by BoilerUP
Lots going on at Wiskey...

Bases PHL/DCA/ORF. PHL is junior for FOs, ORF junior for CAs, DCA senior for both seats but can hold FO Reserve in probably 4-6 months. Most newhires going PHL RSV initially, some can bid where they want before done with IOE.

First year pay is 23.81/hr, 75 hour guarantee from day one on property, with single occupancy hotel during training. Medical/Dental starts if not immediately, in 30 days. Perdiem is $1.40, don't get it until you start IOE. 4 weeks of ground school in ATW, then 3 weeks of FBS/sim training is either in DEN or CLT.

The pilot group is very senior on the top end and very junior on the bottom (on property less than 16 months), including me. Most CAs have been on property about 4-5 years; the junior CA has been on property just under 3 years. Alot of people are jaded because of the commuting across the country after being hosed by UAL and company shenanigans but are still very cool to fly with.

If we win the greviance to get the 2001 contract back, AWAC will have by far the industry leading contract...and even right now we're at or near the top in all categories.

Talk of possible growth flying with Midwest out of MKE and MCI, which would only make since with the company based 2 hours north of Milwalkee up US41.

Bottom line - its a good place to work and has a great contract "for a regional". I've been here just over 6 months and sat reserve for only one month, and I really like it here.

I appreciate your insights. I can't start applying there for at least 6 months, but I wanted to see how things were going there. I think they are very calculated. From the outside, they seem to move slowly, which is a good thing because it insulates them somewhat from making huge bad decisions. I don't mind sitting in the right seat for a few years, and it sounds like 3 years is about what I'd expect there now. That's plenty of time to learn the lay of the land before you're expected to be "the man" to a 1000 hour wonder. Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by HeavyDriver View Post
HeavyDriver,

Thanks for your support. I guess you were hired right into that heavy and your high salary, huh? I guess you didn't have to 'pay your dues'. I guess you must just be better than the rest of us, huh?

Thanks again for your support. You can be sure you'll have mine when you need it. Paperboy my a**. Some guys choose to stay here at the Paperboy level because of lifestyle or even pay, which believe it or not is better sometimes than "Driving Heavys".

Some of us do indeed stand up for what is right in the industry and some of us have been furloughed by major airlines and are now 'Paperboys' again. Glad you didn't lose your job.

Thanks for your support.

Oh, and back to the original question....

There are rumors at AWAC of things to come and a lot of hope for the Midwest flying. Nobody knows though. Attrition has dropped off, but is still a factor. I have been here just less than 2.5 years and expect to upgrade within the next 6-8 months. But anything can happen. If (big IF....) we get any flying for anyone else there will be hiring and upgrades. We have some offers out with some carriers but right now there is not a lot of belief it will happen. But the new CEO claims to be pro-growth. Whether or not he can convince the owners to open their pocketbooks to new investment remains to be seen. Sometimes you need to spend money to make it and this company has traditionally been extremely conservative. Not always a bad thing though.

Organisationally, this is a pretty good company with a solid training department.

Last edited by saab2000; 09-18-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
CA

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: I am the Captain now...

Hey hey hey.. no beating up on Heavy Driver, he's a good guy.

And his idea is pretty good. Too bad there's a lack of leadership to implement it.