Question on FAR 61.183 i

Subscribe
Hi,
I'm working on an initial CFI, and have a question about the spin training. I've asked my instructor, but want a second opinion. I also called the FSDO, but they keep on transferring me to an answering machine. So...

Does the spin training have to be in the same category aircraft? For example, I have very extensive spin experience and training and an endorsement about my ability to instruct spins (as required per 61.183). But that was done in gliders (don't ask). I am not a glider CFI, but I'm working on ASEL CFI. I can't find applicable language in the FARs, but AC 61-65E (pg 12) says "...the applicant must have received a logbook endorsement that attests to satisfactory demonstration of instructional proficiency of stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures in airplanes or gliders, as appropriate."

My CFI contends that I don't need to repeat spin training. I would like that ($), but I don't agree. He told me to research it...
The way I read it... if you are going for a CFI in an airplane, the spin training has to be in an airplane.

(i) Accomplish the following for a flight instructor certificate with an airplane or a glider rating:
(1) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor indicating that the applicant is competent and possesses instructional proficiency in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures after providing the applicant with flight training in those training areas in an airplane or glider, as appropriate, that is certificated for spins;
x2.

"As Appropriate" pretty clearly means in the appropriate category...ie airplane for a CFI-A

There is a significant difference between spin recovery in airplanes vs. gliders: What to do with the throttle.