Search
Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by RyeMex View Post
Is this a legitimate concern? I'm waiting on a class date, and the prospect of walking into a furlough is pretty disconcerting.
Hey dude,

I've been the last guy to be negative at this company but even I'm concerned at this point. Who knows how it'll play out.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2011

Originally Posted by RyeMex View Post
Is this a legitimate concern? I'm waiting on a class date, and the prospect of walking into a furlough is pretty disconcerting.
Although it might be a little early, I think it is a real concern. They could totally go into a serious whipsaw by krrping the FW separate. Have I known what I was getting into a few months ago, I would have stayed at my regional... things went south pretty quick.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: L188

Guys and Gals, I am truly sorry to hear of the latest developments but did none of you see this coming? The 121 charter/supplemental world has ALWAYS been like this. World is gone! They were around the longest, the Pan Am of the charter binness?

Here's a list from like the end of the war until today none of which are still around;
Riddle/Airlift
Saturn/Transamerica
Capitol
ONA
Mentioned World already
Metro/Tower Air
Zantop X 2
Universal
Guy America
Arista
Air America
Modern Air
A ton of outfits in Miami-Millon, Challenge, Rich, Arrow.

I mean come on. It will never change and yes, they will use Southern Air part 3 to screw you.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Even if/when they do use FW to whipsaw the Atlas/Southern group, who are they realistically going to hire to go fly those jets?

If so many people are now staying away from this Atlas/Southern mess, who would sign up for a "career" at FW... under even worse contractual conditions?

There's always going to be a handful of pilots that have their foot firmly planted on the gas pedal in the race to the bottom (Pilots that left Southern Air to fly for Western Global Airways, for example ) but how many jets can they realistically staff?

Rhetorical questions they are, but for AAWW to honestly think this type of maneuvering in the age of a pilot shortage never before seen is unbelievably foolish.

------

On a side note, is this Captain Carlson's private airport, complete with it's own WATER RUNWAY by his home in upstate NY???

https://www.google.com/maps/place/As...e645d61a3a1281

AirNav: NY89 - Fairbank Farms Airport
Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Originally Posted by rv8builder View Post
Rhetorical questions they are, but for AAWW to honestly think this type of maneuvering in the age of a pilot shortage never before seen is unbelievably foolish.
I've said this before but this is one of the most surprising things to me. That they think they are making a good play in this hiring environment while they are trying to grow. I thought our management was good at reading the tea leaves and ginning up business. How they are playing negotiations with the pilot shortage already hitting the regionals and knocking on the ACMI door makes me seriously doubt our future. At this point it would not surprise me to see Atlas pilots furloughed with Southern and/or Florida West hiring.

On a side note, is this Captain Carlson's private airport, complete with it's own WATER RUNWAY by his home in upstate NY???

At least some of us at Atlas are living an industry standard lifestyle.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:18 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Is page 1099 still the place to go for the latest pilot assessment gouge? I've heard that the test was changed but I'm not sure when that occurred. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by TangoFox View Post
Is page 1099 still the place to go for the latest pilot assessment gouge? I've heard that the test was changed but I'm not sure when that occurred. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I took the assessment a month ago and the guide on page 1099 is pretty accurate.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Great...thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Even if/when they do use FW to whipsaw the Atlas/Southern group, who are they realistically going to hire to go fly those jets?

If so many people are now staying away from this Atlas/Southern mess, who would sign up for a "career" at FW... under even worse contractual conditions?

There's always going to be a handful of pilots that have their foot firmly planted on the gas pedal in the race to the bottom (Pilots that left Southern Air to fly for Western Global Airways, for example ) but how many jets can they realistically staff?

------

Yes. He had it long before Atlas came into his life though.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

2016-04-15 Polar Air Cargo 747-800F podstrike at LAX » JACDEC